Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Fox's "Did We Land on the Moon?"

Edit (21st January 2004): In response to the large number of emails I've been receiving about this topic, I have created a section on my personal website about the Moon Hoax Conspiracy Theory. It answers all the common questions like "Why are the flags waving?" and "Where are the missing stars?".

----------------------------------------------

I've been having the old "moon hoax" debate yet again on another forum. This time an innocent kid was shown the Fox program "Did We Land on the Moon?" as part of his official school course. The teacher apparently presented this program as a serious documentary. Like many people the kid now doubts whether the moon landings ever took place.

For those of you who don't know, this Fox "documentary" is a shameless piece of misleading garbage which should never have been allowed to air. It uses a lot of "evidence" based on film and photographic images which any first-year film student could see right through. But apparently the professional TV producers who made this documentary have no understanding of simple exposure techniques, lens characteristics, etc.

There was one part of this program that sticks in my mind: An interview with a conspiracy theorist talking about the "missing stars" - a film shot which shows a starless sky. Now the camera operator who shot this interview must have known that this was a simple exposure issue. So must the producer, editor, and anyone else with any smattering of video/film experience. And yet the program could find no way to explain the missing stars.

In my opinion the only rational conclusion is that this program is a deliberate deception. It is inconceivable that a professional television production house could have been fooled for a minute by the absurd pseudo-evidence presented by the interview subjects.

The people responsible should be brought to account.

2minutenoodles

Re: Fox's

I believe that they did land on the moon, but however, there is one fact that makes me think otherwise, And that is when JFK stood up before the world and said get this where going to the moon, he promised a man on the moon within ten years, if for some reason a scientist told him, na sorry, not possible, what would you do? you just promised the world a man on the moon. Well. . . . I would fake it.

Blog Entries

Re: Fox's "Did We Land on the Moon?"

Fair point, although let's not forget that JFK was well beyong caring about the moon landing by the time it happened.

Do I think the moon landing was real? Yes, but I would be willing to look at any serious evidence to the contrary. As yet I have seen no such evidence.

But the point of my argument is not so much whether the moon landing was real or faked, as the deliberately deceptive journalism in the documentary. My concern is that an influential television company made and released a documentary they must have known was misleading. And that's the crux - this was deliberate deception of the public.

Despicable journalism at its worst.

Sylvester

I remember that program. I thought it was pretty amazing at the time. I know some of the stuff could be explained but there were some things that still sounded too weird. I can't remember much about it though.

Adrian

Can someone explain why there are no satelite photographs of the lunar landing craft to this day, when N.A.S.A. like to bragg about the fact that their technology allows them read news papers from space

Blog Entries

Certainly.

Satellites in Earth orbit are very much closer to the Earth than the Moon so you can't compare them. The distance between a typical satellite and the surface of the Earth is around 30-40,000 km. The distance between a typical satellite and the moon is close to 400,000 km.

No single telescope currently has the resolution to make an image of the lunar landing sites (not even the Hubble Telescope). If you want to verify this yourself, the resolution angle of a telescope is approximately:

Resolution Angle = Wavelength of Light / Diameter of Telescope

I haven't done the calculations myself but I've seen a calculation which determined that an 8.2 metre telescope (that's a big telescope) would only be able to see an object on the moon which is 23 metres or larger.

Another issue is that telescope time and resources are in great demand. Competition is fierce and scientists must make proposals for valid scientific reasons if they have any hope at all of using a serious telescope. Taking photos of the landing sites to placate conspiracy theorists doesn't count. And of course any scientist who is given the use of a powerful astronomical telescope is not going to waste this rare and precious opportunity on such a frivolous exercise.

One final footnote: There was a proposal to use the VLT (Very Large Telescope) array to view the landing sites. The VLT uses a combination of telescopes to achieve greater resolution. You can see the original story here:
    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/...697982142.html
    I don't know if/when this is going to happen but I say "Bring it on".

Sadly, there is too much money to be made out of conspiracy theories for the theorists to give up. I doubt whether any level of proof will satisfy them.

nikki

Re: Fox's

Ok, so maybe we did land on the moon, but have we ever gone back? I don't rememeber, it's just a question. But if we haven't, then why not? Maybe we can't because we haven't before.

Blog Entries

There were 7 moon landing missions between 1969 and 1972. Once the race to the moon was won, and especially when the Russions bowed out of any serious space race altogether, the American public and politicians lost interest.

And that's it really. No one has been back to the moon because no one could be bothered

Frank

When you say misinformation..... there was a whole heap of other "proof" that this documentary didn't go through. When you look at some of the "reasons" given by NASA they make your laugh. They don't in fact give any reasons... they simply say "To suggest we never went there is just misinformation and bad science on their part" What sort of explanation is that?

I could write for pages here on "proof" that the landing was faked but I won't. I'm in the process of putting together a website which explains it all... as I just keep end up repeating myself.

There is 1 thing that wasn't brought up on the video that you mention. When the lunar module lifts off the surface of the moon on its journey back to earth... you can see a camera follow it from the millisecond it leaves the surface until it goes out of sight about 1 second later.... the camera quickly panning upwards to "follow" the module. Its done with extreme precision and framing. When NASA was asked about how this video footage was taken so accurately if there was nobody left on the moon to take the shot they said that the camera was remotely controlled from earth...... fair enough right? Except they forgot 1 important factor..... it takes 7 seconds from the time a signal is sent from Earth to the Moon... meaning that NASA would have had to guess when the lander was going to liftoff 7 seconds earlier... press a button to pan the camera up.... and have gotten it basically within 1/10th of a second accuracy..... and hoped everything was ready to go 7 seconds later just so they could get that "Perfect shot" of the lander lifting off the surface.

Of course the explanation debunkers will give you is that it was all 1 well orchestrated timed event... but why would NASA go to such lengths just so you can see the lander in frame for another 1/10th of a second at the top. Note the camera only pans to a point and then doesn't bother watching the lander leave. Why would this be the case? Thats the problem with debunkers... like those at badastronomy... you can explain anything away if you try hard enough.... just like murderers can make up alibi's which sound viable... people believe what they want to believe.

Frank

Sorry forgot to post this is the last thread... to see the video I am talking about you can download it from http://members.iinet.net.au/~frankmat/moontakeoff.wmv its only 177k

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast