horizontal lines

I have a video on a dv tape that consists of horizontal bands of the video I took combined with what was previously on the tape. What I need to know is what caused this (so I don't do it again) and is it possible to extract the recent video (am sure that I won't be that lucky). The audio is fine.

Thanks for a great forum.

John

Blog Entries
    It sounds like the heads are dirty or clogged. Use a head-cleaning cassette and see what happens.

If luck is on your side and the video recorded correctly, it may play back correctly once the heads are clean. Otherwise, if it's recorded like that, there's nothing you can do.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

what is a horizontal band ? are u talkin bout the type of horizontal lines tht appear at times while capturing ? i hav experienced this as well, may b as dave suggests it is because of the dirty heads !!

Blog Entries
    The image below is a quick simulated banding effect I made in Photoshop. I believe this is the sort of thing we're talking about (am I right John?).

This is often caused by dirty or clogged heads - I got caught out recently when I had to use a Sony PD150 at the local university. Turns out after the shoot that their heads never get cleaned and the shoot was a write-off. This is what all the pictures looked like.

Remember, this picture is only an approximate mock-up. It's not an actual video frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I had a similar thing happen on my new camcorder thats only had about 2hours use. The bars were black though but yeah same thing. It also lost the timecode. Was going to send it in for service but it has since stopped doing it.
    Is there such thing as a dud tape?

I re-striped the same tape and has been ok since. Very weird.
    Have you ever had a dud tape Dave?
    Or a corrupted one that has come right after being re-striped?

Westie.
    A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'

Blog Entries
    I've never had a dud MiniDV tape. The literature says that better tapes are less prone to drop-out but I haven't come across a tape that is completely useless. I guess it's possible though.

That is a weird story - I don't know what could have happened there.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

What is drop out?
    Is it when those bars appear?

Blog Entries
    Dropout is usually fairly minor. It was much more of a problem with analogue formats like SVHS. It usually results in minor picture disturbances that most people don't notice. The exception is HDV, which makes dropout much worse due to the type of compression used.

If by "those bars" you mean colour bars, you usually only see these when there is a complete loss of signal and the signal reverts to some other piece of equipment. This happens sometimes in TV broadcasts when a signal is lost - the broadcast falls back to the previous component in the pathway which is often a bars generator.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

No my problem was the same as above except the lines were black instead of the grey colour you used in the mockup. This was seen on playback through the view finder, lcd screen and also in premiere when trying to capture.

I'm using panasonic dv tapes that i got in a pack of five.

It's actually happened twice now. The first time was when i was just starting to tape a job. Didnt notice till later on in the editing stage. Thought the whole tape was ruined but as i fast forwarded the tape it came right. Whew
    Both times it's been at the beginning of the tape. About 15 seconds in from the start (i leave about 15 seconds blank at the start of a tape).

Weird aye.
    Would it be the heads out of alignment?