please help with making a transparent gif Photoshop 7.0

Good morning...!

I have been up very late and I'm at my wit's end to make a simple transparent gif that I may cover over the images I create. I'm not interested in the transparent background, just the top image itself. These images will go online. I am using Photoshop 7.0 if anyone can help me. Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries
    I can't quite picture what you're trying to do. Is there any way you could show us the URL of the picture, or upload it with a message here?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hello Dave! No I'm sorry I don't have a picture yet, that's what I'm trying to make, lol! I was told I need to create a transparent gif that is 1 pixel by 1 pixel, that I can size to fit the dimensions of a photo of my choice, that will cover this picture. It being transparent you are obviously supposed to see the photo behind it, but when browsers (people) go to lift the photo, what they "lift" is just the clear gif. I realize if someone is absolutely desperate to take my photos there is probably a way around this even, but I'm doing all I can to learn what I can...it's a step-at-a-time thing. And I've researched a lot and have come to this conclusion more than once that this is the best way to go. I Know how to watermark, but this is something I don't know how to do yet...I'm interested in learning HOW. I hope i make some sense. Surely I'm not the only one who's had great graphic work they wanted to protect without directly offending anyone with title of ownership???

Blog Entries
    Ahh, I see what you're doing. You're right - it's not a perfect solution and anyone with any knowledge will be able to get around it, but it's still a reasonable solution for stopping casual thieves. I'd say go for it.

Anyway, here's the basic process in Photoshop:

- Create a new file (File > New). In the dialogue window, specify 1x1 as the pixel size. In the "Background Contents" drop-menu select Transparent.
    - File > Save As. In the "Format" drop-menu select GIF.
    - You will see an "Indexed Color" dialogue window. Check the "Transparency" box.
    - You'll get another dialogue - click OK to finish.

That should do it.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

hi, my basic problem is that the transparency option is not clickable.

i have been trying to use both photoshop and photopaint to erase the white spaces but have largely been unsuccessful to getting the checkered background ... it remains white even when i hit the delete bottom after cropping the white spaces.

as a result, the transparency option in both photoshop and photopaint for saving as gif is not clickable.

what seems to be the problem?

Blog Entries
    Let's go back a step. You shouldn't need to erase anything. If you create a new transparent file, that's what you have - a blank file which is completely transparent.

When you select File > New from the menu, you get a dialogue box like the one below. Note how the width and height are set to 1 pixel, and the "Background Contents" drop-menu is set to Transparent.

That's all you need. After you click OK to this box you can save the file as a GIF (the transparency checkbox should be available).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

i forgot to mention that am trying to edit a jpg file. so i opened that file and am trying to save it as a jpg file with a transparent background

tried opening a new file so can click on transparent.

however, how do i now import the jpg file into this new file? there is no jpg option in the import and place options.

thanks for your patience, am a newbie with photoshop.

Open your jpg in photoshop.
    Press ctrl+A means select all. and then press ctrl+c i.e copy

Now go to File > NEW and set ur options.

you will see a new canves and now press ctrl+p ie paste wht you copied earlier

Now that's it. Your old jpg is on new canves with transparent option set.

Thanks
    Junaid

my logo is turning black on my transparent canvas

Hi

I'm working on Photoshop Elements 2 and have just tried to follow the instructions below. I managed to save teh transparent gif, but when i try and copy and paste the jpg into the new transparent canvas the logo turns black. any ideas? Am i doing anything wrong?

I'm guessing this is an old version of Photoshop, but I've only started to use it. Any help will be much appreciated.

thanks
    f