Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mics

__IoNIcA__

mics

can anybody tell me how many different types of micriphone there are and their perpose or give me a link to somewhere that i can see it.

thanks

Blog Entries

Re: mics

Our audio section has the basics (click the audio link at the top of this page).

There are many different ways to classify mics and their purposes and it would be very difficult to give you a definitive list. For example, you could classify mics according to their directional characteristics and say "Cardioids are for close-up sound sources and hypercardioids are for picking up sound at a distance". However this is just one way to use directional characteristics. You could also use a hypercardioid for close-up sound sources if you want to reject sound from the sides.

You could classify mics according to some other criteria such as the type of diaphragm technology or the physical size of the mic. Again, the types of uses will vary depending on the situation and the operator's preferences.

What I'm saying is that there is probably no official definition of the different types of mic and their purposes. I recommend learning about the types of microphone described in our "How Microphones Work" tutorial, e.g. directional characteristics, dynamic vs condenser, etc. After that, search and read as much as you can about each different type.

If you have any specific questions about certain types of mic, ask here.

-dave

Difficult question without knowing your angle. It's sort of like asking for a list of the different types of cars and their purposes. I might give you a list of car manufacturers but you might really be wanting a list of different types of engine technology.

Like Dave said the audio section of this web site is a good start. It tells you about dynamic and condenser mics and their pros and cons. Also directional properties like cardioid etc. Once you understand those things you're on the right track.

__IoNIcA__

Sorry i should of been more specific. what i actually meant was. i know there are 'dynamic mics' and 'Condenser' mics from the audio section. but are there any other types apart from these.

Aslo. you spoke about 'Cardioid mics' and 'hypercardioid'. would you be able to tell me where i can get more information on these types also?

thanks

Blog Entries

Our "How Microphones Work" tutorial has a page called "Directional Properties". This tells you about cardioids etc. Basically cardioid means more sound is picked up from the front and less from the sides. Hypercardioid is an exaggerated version of the same pattern.

Other types of mic technology (apart from dynamic and condenser) include ribbon and carbon mics. Carbon mics are pretty much obsolete but ribbons are still used in some situations. Do a Google search on these and you should get plenty of info.

I can't think of any other types of mic off hand. Anyone else?

__IoNIcA__

which frequencies are able to travel further? hi or low?

Blog Entries

Low frequencies are generally more robust and will travel further. This is especially true if you're using high-impedence mics, which will degrade high frequencies after about 10 metres or so.

By the way, don't use high-impedence mics

venkatesh

Audio wiring like XLR, Phono, cable cennections

Tell me in detail with diagram about audio cable connections like XLR- XLR, XLR - Phono, Phono - phono.PCA - phono, XLR-RCA, RCA-PHONO for TV studio audio connections

jitin

Hello Sir/Mam

I would like to know as what all difrrent types of mics & audio system you have
    do u have any of retailers in India
    regads
    jitin

PZM

How about a "boundary effects mic" (or PZM - Pressure Zone Microphone). These are flat microphones which are designed to be mounted on a flat surface, like a stage floor, police interview table etc.
    Google PZM to find out more detail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast