from the fridge

auto volume leveling in premiere

I'm editing a video for my church. It has a heap of people talking about what they do. The problem is, the levels are all over the place. The other problem is there are about 20 different people talking and i'm rapidly loosing patience with the project.

Is there a blanket filter i can apply to the whole clip to get all the audio levels the same.

i'm using premiere ro 1.5.

Check out the video tutorials at wrigleyvideo.com and see if you can adapt the audio tutorial for your needs.
    A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'

Blog Entries
    I use gain and compression for this sort of thing. Basically I increase the gain to a point where the quietest speakers are loud enough, then apply compression (and a limiter) to reduce and even out the loud parts. It's not absolutely ideal as the background noise also goes up and down, but it's not a bad compromise.

Compression and limiting can be found in the "Dynamics" audio effect. I use quite a lot of compression - threshold around -20dB and ratio of around 8:1. I have the limiter set on around -1dB.

I also use nested sequences to help when i have lots of different audio clips. Rather than applying the dynamics effect to clips individually, I nest the whole sequence in a new sequence and apply the effect there.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

from the fridge
    all the audio is on the one track, so i just set it so the track volume was shown on the time line and moved it up or down. I found the little master volume meter thing, so used that and tried to keep it between -18 and -12 with the occasional peak to -6.

I really have no idea when it comes to sound!!!

maybe hit the Church up for some cash and buy Adobe Audition.

I have a trial version only but you can view the sound wave as a spectrogram where you can "see" the sound, remove certian levels, for instance a guy showed where there was a door slam, you cna clearly see the "spike" it created and easy to erase it!

The eraser tool works by blending other sounds, so you dont get a blank spot in the audio!

Only took a few mouse clicks on the demo!

best, M/