Thread: Aspect Ratios

Aspect Ratios

Alright, I'm looking at getting into independent film making, so I want to learn everything I can before buying my first camera. I'm currently looking at the Panasonic AG-HVX200 and noticed the aspect ratio that it shoots in is 16:9 (with the option of going down to 4:3). I'm sure I'll never want to try shooting in anything wider, since that is a standard for DVD in widescreen (or at least that's what my research tells me), but I'd still like to know whether or not I would have the option to. Is there anyway to modify the camera (i.e. lenses, settings, filters...) to shoot in a wider aspect ratio? Are the different aspect ratios dependent on the CCDs?

I'm pretty sure theres no other options to change the aspect ratio on that camera. Only the standard 16x9 and 4x3 ratios that it supports.
    16x9 widescreen is going to be around for a while and is still only just becoming mainstream. Theres still a hell of a lot of standard 4x3 tv's being manufactured & sold around the world so buying that camera should do you for quite a few years yet. Even if in the next year or two some new ratio is brought out, like say for example18x9, it will still be a good five years before it gets known as "the new ratio" to be universally accepted and incorperated into the new model tv's. I really can't see us, the consumer, changing to a new ratio in the near future unless there is something extrordinary about it that makes it worth the change.
    I think 16x9 will be around for quite a while yet.

Thats just my two cents worth though, i could be wrong

Others may have a more informed opinion than me.

Cheers, Westie.
    A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'

Thanks for your thoughts Westie...I didn't bother to think about how long it takes for pioneered technology to find it's place as a standard. I guess by the time something new does finally come out, I'll be a multi-million dollar movie maker that can afford a new camera.

...well...I can dream...