Blog Entries

New Zealand Idol

So at last New Zealand gets to have its own version of the "Idol" series.... lucky old New Zealand.

New Zealand Idol continues the successful format of the international versions - wannabe pop stars humiliate themselves on television for the amusement of us all.

As confirmed recently by one of the American franchise owners, there are two parts of this format which provide the appeal:
    (1) The hilariously untalented hopefuls at the initial auditions, and
    (2) The finals.

The Americans are planning to cut down the less enthralling middle stages of the competition and focusing on the crowd-pleasing stuff. Fair enough.

Unfortunately it seems that the easiest and most effective way to do this is to showcase more talentless people. Incredible as it seems, these poor innocents continue to line up and beg for public ridicule. Do these people not have friends? Why don't their families stop them? Who knows but it's a goldmine for the franchise owners.

It really is sad that we get our amusement from putting other people down. The fact that all three judges in the latest Idol incarnation are merciless mockers can't be coincidence. The audience loves it - the chance to see someone told what we would love to tell them if it weren't for our sense of social etiquette.

How many of us would heckle a performer with lines like "For Gods sake what drugs did you take to make you think you could sing?". Most of us are too polite, but apparently a lot of us are quite keen to watch someone else do it.

And that seems like the real attraction of this programme.

Worried

Re: New Zealand Idol

Today I heard about a person on NZ Idol was the laughing stock of the country. I won't say his name because he's suffered enough already. Apparently this person has a genuine disability which would have prevented him from realising the consequences of entering the programme. Since his audition he keeps featuring as the sort of "highlighted loser" so everyone can keep laughing at what an idiot he made of himself.

This is so wrong. Most people know what they are risking when they enter these competitions but some people don't have the skills to see the consequences. Obviously the makers of these programmes are looking for exactly that type of person - the ones who can't see what a twit they will make of themselves and don't realise they will be used as a joke.

Mark my words.... Sooner or later someone is going to commit suicide after being ridiculed on one of these programmes.

courtnery t/ikjwemtntk

we love nz i dol

Blog Entries

Soon after I posted the original message in this thread I lost all interest in following this show, but thanks to the encouragement of my pre-teen daughter (who is the perfect media consumer) I have been dragged back into watching the finals.

To be fair I have noticed a significant improvement in the overall tone of New Zealand Idol. The unecessary insults have taken a back seat and losing finalists are dismissed with somewhat more dignity than earlier unfortunates. I've even detected a hint of caring attitude from the judges.

The cynical part of me is quick to attribute this new sensitivity to tactical thinking from the producers. Every finalist has a small army of supporters and it would be unwise to upset them too much. And of course the finalists are actually competent so it's not as easy to ridicule them anyway.

Whatever the rationale, I'm finding it much more enjoyable now.

One minor gripe though - it really affects the credibility of the voting process when anyone can vote as many times as they like. I'm not a telecom technician but I'm quite confident it would be very easy to limit votes to one per telephone. So why don't they do it? Wouldn't be anything to do with the 99 cents per vote would it??