Thread: The Resort

Blog Entries

The Resort

Programme: The Resort

Produced by: Touchdown Productions (www.touchdowntv.com), New Zealand.

Premise: A group of (young, good-looking) participants are selected to work at an island resort. Upon arrival they discover it's not all fun & sun - the resort is a shabby derelict and needs to be completely renovated before the guests arrive in a few weeks.

-------------------------------

Note: There are two "bosses" in charge of the whole operation. I'm calling them bosses because I must have missed the explanation of their role and it hasn't yet been reiterated. They stroll onto the set from time to time and chastise people, so they are sort of boss-like.

-------------------------------

"Reality TV" is becoming more of a misnomer with every new format. It seems that the novelty of watching normal people in real situations isn't quite as novel as watching unusually annoying people in overtly manufactured situations.

If there was an award for "Most Uncomfortably Contrived Reality Show of the Year", The Resort would have to be a contender.

We are currently in the second week of The Resort and the participants have a big job ahead of them. We are told that the key to success will be building an effective team and working well together.

The people selected as participants do have a variety of skills but it's pretty obvious the group has been carefully selected to ensure a certain level of conflict. Nothing new or surprising there - this has been part of the standard reality TV approach for a long time. But despite the clashing personalities it looks like this group wants to make a serious effort at building a positive team ethic.

Nice, but perhaps not good for ratings. And this is where the contrivance comes in..... I think.

The bosses seem determined to undermine any attempts at team-building. Their first decision is to appoint a "General Manager" to look after the team. Instead of choosing someone with management experience (or some aptitude), they choose Riki the Gib Fitter. Riki has no idea about management and is clearly out of his depth. Then they run a "test" on some arbitrarily-chosen participants which involves cleaning and renovating a room. Without any monitoring of individual performance and an evaluation which smacks of predetermination, Ricky is instructed to fire the person responsible for the inevitable failure. Riki has no idea who is responsible. Actually, poor Riki has no idea about anything and meekly does what he's told. Without any management experience, he doesn't think to question this highly questionable directive. You can't blame him for not seeing what's happening - he's being manipulated into creating conflict.

At least that's what I think is happening. The bad management is too consistent to be an accident, but at the same time there is something disconcerting about the way it is executed. The bosses don't seem at all comfortable in their roles as either bosses or television presenters. They lack any genuine sense of authority. They struggle to make the required outcomes seem like natural developments. They bumble their way through dialogue and repeat themselves as if trying to convince us that they are confident about what they're saying.

There is a lot of confusion. The participants don't understand the rules and it's not clear whether the bosses do either. I certainly don't.

At the end of tonight's episode the participants stage a strange sort of rebellion in which they overturn the management decision made by Riki. Riki and the bosses are nowhere to be seen and it's unclear whether this turn of events is allowed. But it continues anyway and the programme ends with the wrong person leaving the resort.

Which all begs the question: "Is this contrivance or incompetence?"

I can't quite decide whether the ineptitude of the management decisions are all part of the plan or whether these guys really don't have a clue. My money is on the plan - Touchdown Productions have a lot of experience and hiring amateurs isn't their normal M.O. Still, there's just something about the bosses which cries "Help, I'm drowning!"

I fear the difficulties with The Resort are more than teething problems. Unlike reality giants such as Survivor and The Great Race, or even Touchdown's previous offerings, The Resort just doesn't impart any sense of trust in the programme's direction. The conflict is too forced, the rules of the game are ill-defined, and I find myself wondering if I would care about the outcome even if I did have any idea what it is supposed to be.

paulie93

Re: The chefs job

On the show that aired in N.Z on thursday the 11th of march on channel three,at the end the of the show,the host mentioned you were looking for a Chef with experience and personality i have both plus one rare chef that has a sense of humour,and able to have fun.If you would like to know more drop me a line at the attached e-mail address hope to hear from you soon.

Blog Entries

Re: The chefs job

Hmmmmm... You may be right about your sense of humour but I hope the job doesn't require a sense of direction. You're in the wrong place