International Cameraman/persons union

I've recieved an email from a person who lives in northern Iraq/ Kurdistan who asked a question on this forum but got no replies. His english is not very good so people may not have known what he was asking.

Anyway, he is a student cameraman and wants to know if there is an international union, syndicate, guild etc that looks after camera persons rights,can offer advice etc.
    I'm sure thats what hes asking.

So is there such thing?

If so, do any of you pro camera people know of some groups etc that he could get in contact with?

Cheers Westie.
    A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'

In the UK we have The Guild of Television Cameramen.
    http://www.gtc.org.uk/

Hi vegasarian

Is that international or UK based?

Westie.

Blog Entries
    Trade unions tend not to be international (perhaps because of the different legal frameworks in different countries) but they do sometimes have international affiliations. I've never heard of an international camera operators union but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Maybe you should start one Westie!
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Westie...
    this is from the GTC website.......

The Guild of Television Cameramen (GTC) was formed in 1972 and now has well over 1,000 members. Although based in the UK, the GTC membership is truly international, with representation from Singapore to Siberia and New Zealand to The Netherlands. The GTC puts members' subscriptions back into what it does, enabling it to keep the cost of membership low and the quality of services and activities high.

The GTC is a non-profit organisation, run by a Council of around 20 volunteers with careers in television and is sponsored by many major manufacturers and suppliers from the industry. The GTC offers a way for manufacturers, when designing new equipment, to consult with working cameramen to produce outline specifications for such things as cameras, lenses and mountings.

The GTC is not a trade union and avoids any political involvement, but it is an authoritative source of advice and information on all matters concerning television cameramen. Its aim is to preserve the professional status of the television cameraman and to establish, uphold and advance the standards of qualification and competence of the television cameraman.

Thanks vegasarian. That sounds like the sort of thing he is interested in.
    I will pass that info on.

No thanks Dave
    I have enough trouble organising myself