Tanpsparent background .gif issue

I've been reading around a lot and I can't seem to solve my problem. So I just created a new thread. I create a new image and make it tranparent, then I'll put an image over the transparent backround. After that I save as a .gif image. then when I go to open the image back up it has a white background. I'm just trying to create an image with a transparent background. Can someone please stear me into the right direction? thanks Frank.

Quote: Frank005
    View Post
    I've been reading around a lot and I can't seem to solve my problem. So I just created a new thread. I create a new image and make it tranparent, then I'll put an image over the transparent backround. After that I save as a .gif image. then when I go to open the image back up it has a white background. I'm just trying to create an image with a transparent background. Can someone please stear me into the right direction? thanks Frank.
    What program are you using? There is generally something about merging layers (don't) or preserving transparency (do) or flattening (don't). I use gimp, which I don't have on this computer, but I will check it out 'cause I can't remember exactly. Also, it may just be the program you are viewing the image with. Many viewers add the background. Are you opening the pic back up in the program you created it with and having this problem?