The Passion of the Christ

Anyone seen it yet?

Blog Entries

Re: The Passion of the Christ

Not yet. I'll probably wait for the DVD but like many people I've become more interested in it as a result of the controversy. It'll be interesting to see the reaction.

Blog Entries

Re: The Passion of the Christ

I watched the ABC Primetime show with Mel Gibson last night. A whole hour about this film. It really is causing a stink huh?

It comes back to the old "independent evidence vs the Bible accounts" argument. Secular historians seem fairly unanimous that the Gospel accounts are, shall we say, one possible interpretation of the facts. Given the climate of the time there would have been a strong motivation for early Christians to both distance themselves from Jews and downplay the role of the Romans in Jesus' death.

Looking at all this from the outside I find I have to agree - the scenario in which the Jews lean on Pontius Pilate until he does what they want just doesn't make any sense at all.

But Mel and other "literal interpretation" fans don't care. The Bible says it happened like this and that's the end of the story. As Mel points out, the people who are critical of this film don't really have a problem with Mel, the problem is with the Gospels.

Of course it's a lot easier to say "I disagree with Mel Gibson" than "I disagree with the Gospel".

Oh to have a time machine and travel back a couple of Millennia.