smarty

Measuring Impedance of a Mic (w/ multimeter)

Ok, so I have a couple of mics I've acquired over the years. No docs of course.

Is there a way I can measure their impedance? Can I just put my multimeter across the connectors and do a resistance reading and whatever ohm reading I get, that's the impedance?

Thanks!

Re: Measuring Impedance of a Mic (w/ multimeter)

I was wondering exactly that the other day, but I had the good fortune to find the manual online, so never did find out whether simply metering the resistance would give you the impedance or not.
    I will find out now though, give me a couple of days and I'll give you a definate answer.
    What make/model are your mics by the way?

smarty

Well, I found the impedance of my mics in their specs. 400 and 600 ohms. So then I took my multimeter and tested them. They came out at about 1.7 ohms, so I guess the answer is NO you can't determine impedance that way.

cruiser

that's confusing. ohms is a measure of resistance, not impedance. Electrically there is a difference, although I'm not sure how to explain it. The formula is very different.
    I have two different sets of mic cords, one connects to the low impedance or 'low-z' port and one to the 1/4 inch jack, or 'high-z' port on my powered mixer.

Craig

Resistance is a concept used for DC (direct currents) whereas impedance is the AC (alternating current) equivalent.

I believe ohms is a measure of resistance *and* impedance.

Hamza

I have the same Quaistion .... but i don't see any answer !!

any one here !!!

thank's

MARTIN

Impedance is the opposition to current of an AC circuit, formed by resistance (the same as to DC), capacitance and inductance, the latest two only possible to detect with AC. As a multimeter only feeds a circuit to be measured with the DC of its own batteries, you cannot use it to obtain complete impedance values.