quentin tarantino and violence!

hi

i'm putting together a research project for my film studies coursework on quentin tarantino and the violence in his films!

here are a few questions for you:

1) do you think that there is a particular brand of violence in tarantinos films?

2) is this violence play an important part in the film?

3) whats your general opinion on violent films?

any opinions would be appreciated
    thank you

Blog Entries
    Quote: swervyzervy
    1) do you think that there is a particular brand of violence in tarantinos films?
    Yes. I think Tarantino has created his own brand of violence, as evidenced by the fact that people talk about "Tarantino style" films in a way that implies a certain type of violence.

2) is this violence play an important part in the film?
    I can't think of a Tarantino film that doesn't rely on violence, so I would say yes.

3) whats your general opinion on violent films?
    There are many different types of violent film. Some are gratuitous and, in my opinion, very harmful to society for many reasons. On the other hand some films (e.g. Once Were Warriors) use violence as a necessary way to describe real situations that require our attention. Such films can have a very positive effect.

Good luck with your project.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I've always been divided when thinking about Tarantino as a director and his qualities. On one hand I see him as a talented unique director and on the other hand, a director looking to shock for the sake of shock and differ himself from mainstream directors by using graphic/emotional violence.

Overall, a lot of his films are well directed and scripted so I'm swayed to support him in that he is a great director.

His brand of violence is extreme but something you can associate with

There is definately a reliance on the plot having violence in a film

Violence in films is a-ok with me.

1) yes, it's a particular brand, but it makes something outstanding, so it differs from "just a movie"
    2) yes again similar to what i've written in the first post
    3) i don't like a lot of blood, but i like some rigid moments, it "keeps me tight"

I realise this is probably way past the use-by date for your project, but I'll stick my 2-cents in anyway ...

1) Yes. I see it as the fetishising of violence by someone who has most likely never experienced real violence.

2) It's the centrepiece of them. Without the resort to extreme violence, Tarantino's films would be seen for what (in my opinion they are anyway): Extremely boring and pretentious.

3) In general, I'm well over violence in films. While it may sometimes be a necessary part of the story, in general I feel, violence is used in cinema simply to titillate or to cover the vacuity of the plot, and with very little honesty as regards the real impact of violent actions.

Would anyone bother with <i>300</i> or <i>Sin City</i>, for example, if they weren't excessively violent? Without the bloodshed, <i>300</i> would simply be seen as an incredibly trite exercise in the sword-n-sandal genre, and <i>Sin City</i> as a vacuous imitation of Raymond Chandler or James Ellroy.

I also feel that, in general, violent cinema is the domain of the young. Nick Hornby summed it rather well, writing on "extreme" music, when he argued that young people generally don't have much in the way of life experience, whereas at 40, he knows that life itself is scary enough, without having to get his thrills vicariously through music (or cinema).

Tarantino aims to be differently violent, that's one of his "trademarks" in filming.