demo reel question

Hello! Love the site. Lots of great info. For the past few years, I have been
    working for a small production company mainly taping weddings, graduations
    and special events. My demo reel obviously reflects the work. Now, I would
    like to move on to more corporate work (ie commercials, training). Should I present the reel that I have, or create a reel that is more aligned with what I want to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit Guy

Blog Entries
    Hi, welcome and thanks for the comments.

If you can, a more tailored demo would be better. Perhaps you could collect the work you already have which is most suitable, then go and get yourself a few shots which are more specifically what you need to help pad it out and make it more in line with your client's expectations.

It could be worth shooting a dummy commercial just to use in the demo.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Quote: editguy
    View Post
    Hello! Love the site. Lots of great info. For the past few years, I have been
    working for a small production company mainly taping weddings, graduations
    and special events. My demo reel obviously reflects the work. Now, I would
    like to move on to more corporate work (ie commercials, training). Should I present the reel that I have, or create a reel that is more aligned with what I want to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit Guy

I am just curious as to where you are. We happen to be looking for a commercial producer.

As far as a tape. I am always looking for what you can do If your resume does not have any commercial experience i would not to expect to see any commercials on it, and frankly would be a bit concerned if i did. M suggestion to you is to just get of your best work...a good variety if you can. a some new, some tech, some straight shooting. a bit of everything. also for the first tape make it no longer than 5 min. I will not sit through any more, and i know most others wont either. If we want to see more we will ask.

hope this helps!

RE: demo reel

Quote: kawsakimx6
    View Post
    I am just curious as to where you are. We happen to be looking for a commercial producer.

As far as a tape. I am always looking for what you can do If your resume does not have any commercial experience i would not to expect to see any commercials on it, and frankly would be a bit concerned if i did. M suggestion to you is to just get of your best work...a good variety if you can. a some new, some tech, some straight shooting. a bit of everything. also for the first tape make it no longer than 5 min. I will not sit through any more, and i know most others wont either. If we want to see more we will ask.

hope this helps!
    Hi. Thanks for the advice. I'm from Virginia, but I have some job prospects in Texas. *keeping fingers crossed*

A showreel should show your abilities and targeted towards the area you're aiming in.