Focusing and exposure help?

Hello there,

First time on this site. Very helpful and informative. Just got a three questions which I am unsure of.

Do you have to manual focus with every indivdual shot you shoot, or will focusing once do the trick?

If I manually focus for a shot of a man walking down the street away from the camera, will he eventually walk out of focus and ruin the shot?

Does the exposure always adjust automatically to various lighting conditions?

Any help much appreciated

First off......Welcome.

Now to the questions.
    Quote: law
    View Post
    Do you have to manual focus with every indivdual shot you shoot, or will focusing once do the trick?
    YES you must focus EVERYTIME you turn on the camera, move the camera, move the subject, really all the time!!!!! NEVER think the because you have already focused the camera, that it is OK!!!!.

View Post
    If I manually focus for a shot of a man walking down the street away from the camera, will he eventually walk out of focus and ruin the shot?
    this is a loaded question. there are many possible answers to it. I guess you first have to start by asking yourself a question. "What do I want the shot to look like?" If you are trying to keep the man in focus the entire time, and not have him walk in and/or our of focus, then you are going to have to follow him, with the focus. this will take a little getting use to, but is NOT hard.

View Post
    Does the exposure always adjust automatically to various lighting conditions?
    And another one that i really need to ask you a question. Does your cam have Auto gain? if so then you don't have worry about it in most cases. other wise you will have to iris up and down depending on lighting conditions.

My advice to you....if you are new to the business. get yourself a camera that has an automatic setting. Start by using that, and slowly learn about focus, iris, gain, back focus, shutters, etc...

there are also a lot of good sites out there that will give you a lot of good tips. http://www.digitaljuice.com/djtv/default.asp? is a good place to start they are 5 min episodes that are designed to teach you little at a time but are VERRY helpful tips.

hope i was able to help you at least a little.
    Have a great day!
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

thank you for reply - it was helpful!