why is my recording quality lower than the output from the monitor/headphones?

hey guys! just having a problem here... im new at this so please be forgiving

well.. my setup is at follows... i've got a behringer1204fx mixer, outputting into a UCA200 audio USB interface into the computer, and i record with adobe audition.

when i listen through the headphones on the mixer, the sound quality is great, it sounds full, solid, and just sounds professional. but when it's recorded into the computer, and i play it back.. it seems to lose a lot of its quality, a lot of that oomph... and sounds like i just recorded from a cheap mic (i use an sm57, a paired set of pencil condensers, and an MXL992, not at the same time though). it doesnt sound as good as it did on the mixer's monitor.

is there a reason why this happens..? i really want to fix it up as it's kind of bringing me down. i get this huge setup and everyone's excited to record. it sounds good on the monitor.. but then it sounds pretty bland and low quality on the recording.

thanks heaps in advance!

Blog Entries
    Hello choosk,
    Any reason you are converting your signal to a digital format using a usb device? Why not go directly from your mixer to the Line Input of the computer?
    Do you monitor your computer during recording? How does that sound?
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

hey! thanks for the reply.

hmm i havent tried that actually.. i'll see how that works

i guess the only reason i'm using the USB interface to record to my computer digitally is that i dont know any other way that'd work and produce satisfying results.

though from experience.. using the line in makes a sort of hissy static noise... maybe it's just not that good in my laptop. i've tried recording through it before but it never really satisfied me.

Blog Entries
    I understand, however the best result would be an audio cable directly from the mixer to the computer line input. If the hiss does come back, I think this little forum can help you resolve and overcome - we got a good group of audio people getting a kick out of M.C.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

I gotta vote for the USB connection. Most sound cards are undiluted crap. The line input usually just pads the signal down and feeds it into the mic input (internally) which is guaranteed to give you bad S/N. If you can digitize before it gets to the computer, you should be ahead.

Okay then, you ask, why does the USB sound bad? Beats me. Maybe Choosk can define "bad" more precisely. I suppose it's possible the USB converter is rotten, but that would be unusual.

Blog Entries
    Quote: karl eilers
    View Post
    I gotta vote for the USB connection. Most sound cards are undiluted crap.
    Hmmmm... did you mean diluted crap?? I'm not ruling out the sound card as of yet unless cables with adapters are in use.
    View Post
    The line input usually just pads the signal down and feeds it into the mic input (internally) which is guaranteed to give you bad S/N.
    I agree if that is the case but then again, my background is broadcast, not consumer. Truthfully, I have no idea what's being done at the consumer level. My experience with equipment that I've worked on is, mic levels went through the preamp stage and routed to line level circuits, not the other way.
    View Post
    If you can digitize before it gets to the computer, you should be ahead.
    But that would depend on, "what's doing the digitizing". I would have more faith in the audio input and having the computer software do the digitizing. If the sound board is the problem then I'd try to make the usb interface work before buying another sound card.

Ok choosk - you now have something to think about. Hopefully it's not causing you to be more confused .
    SC358

wow. these forums r great!

well, the recorded result loses a lot of its "oomph". like.. the instrument sounds flat, it loses it's big surroundlike sound (if that's a proper term).

there's like.. a huge difference in what i can hear. when i'm recording, the sound quality i hear through the headphones in the mixer is really good, vibrant, bright, solid and full on. but once i record, when i play it back.. it sounds like it's played from the radio, it loses a lot of its quality.

the mixer is connected to the computer through the tape output (the red and white RCA cables), which is then outputted into the UCA200 usb interface, then connected to the computer through usb.

ever thought that maybe the speaker on your computer are knackered?

try plugging your headphones into your computer and see how that sounds. if it's bad through them listen to the actual feed that would normally go to the usb sound card (pre amps etc.). if thats bad then either use the signal that the monitors would normally use or get a firewire mixer. this will garuntie good sound.

Blog Entries
    I Googled the UCA200 to get more information. There are other users in other forums having some problems just as well, so it's not just you choosk. (Not that I mean to take away from this forum ) Some have been able to solve the problem with other's troubleshooting and suggestions. Solutions range from loading in the newest usb drivers from Berhinger to other settings and adjustments of the recording software. Each one had a slightly different problem that's why there are different answers.
    http://www.free-instrumentals.com/behringeruca200.html
    http://www.homerecordingconnection.c...id=12088&frm=5
    http://blog.ryandubois.net/fixing-a-...dio-interface/

They don't quite address your problem but maybe it will lead you to one.

One other thing, instead of using the TAPE OUTPUT (which usually requires an amp input) try the MAIN OUT to the computer line input instead.

SC358

hmm i might try that.. maybe it is the tape out... i'll try finding a converter for the main out to connect to RCA and see wat happens!

u guys have been so helpful! thanks! here's anticipating for the solutioN!