Connecting Home Stereo to a Power Amp

Hi

I'm trying to connect a normal domestic home stereo to a pair of large PA speakers via a power amp.

The Speaker outputs for the stereo are a Black (+) and Red (-) wire per channel (clamped onto the unit via binding post) but the input for the amp is a 1/4 inch jack.

Would it possible to use a mono jack to jack lead (one for each channel), cut one of the jack plugs off and use the +ve wire in the (+) binding post and the -ve wire in the (-) connection?

Thanks

Quote: Puppetmaster_v3
    View Post
    Hi

I'm trying to connect a normal domestic home stereo to a pair of large PA speakers via a power amp.

The Speaker outputs for the stereo are a Black (+) and Red (-) wire per channel (clamped onto the unit via binding post) but the input for the amp is a 1/4 inch jack.

Would it possible to use a mono jack to jack lead (one for each channel), cut one of the jack plugs off and use the +ve wire in the (+) binding post and the -ve wire in the (-) connection?

Thanks
    Not a good Idea. The only way you can accomplish a connection using the speaker output of a reciever as your source signal for a power amp ist to either put a pad in line or use a direct box with a 40db pad between the speaker output and the amp input. The ouput of the reciever is powered speaker output, the input of the amp is line level, You may take the output of the headphone jack in the reciever if it has one, and split that with a y cable to two 1/4" plugs. Thats still not the best signal but its only maybe a watt or 2. Rolls makes a speaker tap device that acts the same as a DI with a heavy pad. That would be my suggestion>

Check in to Rolls Heavy pad Tap.

well now that i read above ^^^^^^ that was already said, so i guess there is a good idea brewing!
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!