Video Playback Problem

Hi everyone, i shot some video in a Panasonic DVC camera, one of those 4000 dollar cameras, and I have the mini-dv tapes, but when i place then in my NV_GS250 camera, one not as expensive as the previous camera, i cannot play them back, i get a "WRONG TAPE FORMAT" error. Is this because the quality of the tape is not playable on this camera? This footage is really important to me, is there anyway i can play it back again? thanx

Ok here is what probably happened......(one of my workers did the same thing last week)......When you record in the Panasonic DVC camera it was probably recorded in DVC pro format. and your camera is probably made to read Mini DV recordings....yes there is a difference. the only wat to get it back it to use a DVC pro ready camera or deck and dub it on to another tape or straight into your computer.

The only other option may be to send it to a production company such as Manoni Productions (notice the shameless plug) and have them dub it over for you......

There is a slight possibility that the tape is also no good vis stretching or melting, but it would usually start to play then stop on you.

hope this helps
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

how would i sned it straight into my computer, the camera doesnt read the tape, and neither will the computer. I am using a firewire cable, and i dont get anything off of the camera, since it doesnt read the format.

that is what i was trying to say.....the only way to get it straight to you computer is to bring a DVC pro camera in to play it through firewire to get it into your computer
    Manoni Productions

so there isnt any converter/player/device/anything else that i can buy that would directly divert the video into the computer? and if not, and if i were to take it to a production company, which one would be best and how much would they charge per hour to convert the tape to a digital file?

At this point you are looking at either buying a deck or a camera. that is rather expensive. first make sure there is no converter built in on your camera.

read the manual.....if you don't have one chances are that there is either one on this forum or some one has one that they could but up.

As far as the best place to take it.....i could not tell you with out you telling me where you live....and as far as price. We charge 50 an hr to put it on DVD and more if you need it back on a mini DV tape. however the price will depend on the shop and the market that you live in.
    Manoni Productions

You could of course go to a hire company and hire the same camera you shot it on to transfer everything onto your comp. The cost of a 24 hr day hire for that camera aint gonna be much.

Quote: vegasarian
    View Post
    You could of course go to a hire company and hire the same camera you shot it on to transfer everything onto your comp. The cost of a 24 hr day hire for that camera aint gonna be much.
    true renting the camera for the day would be less then having a company transfer the video....probably
    Manoni Productions