Receiver keeps shorting out at high volume!

Actually it is not that high of volume. I have a receiver that I use to power a whole house speaker system. I have speakers in the kitchen, living room, dining room, master bedroom and bath. When I turn the volume up to a mid range level, the receiver shorts out. It does not power off but the speaker light comes on and no sound plays. I used sheilded wire to run. I have tried using only one zone of speakers at once and it still shorts out. Am I getting interference from other wires in my house? Do you think it would be the wire or the receiver. I do not know much about home audio, I just did this because my wife wanted music throughout the house. It works well and sounds great at a low level, but even if a loud section of music come on, it will sometimes short out.

question for you......

Are all the speakers the same ohm as the output of the receiver?

and another.......

What is the RMS and Max wattage output of the receiver.

I am thinking that there is either multiple types of ohm speakers off the receiver, or the ohms don't match the receiver at all.

However the receiver may be working way too hard if it is a low powered amp/receiver combo.......now that i think of it....this is probably your problem
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Speakers etc.

I am not at home right now so I cant answer your questions, but as I said, even when I hook up just one set of speakers, it will short out. Would the length of the wire have anything to do with it? Or interference from other wires in the house electrical etc.?

If a speaker light comes on it could also mean that you are overdriving the speakers and they or the amp are going into a protection mode, like tripping a breaker. This points to a power handling problem. This protection is usually thermal based if in the speakers, and impedence based if incorporated into the amplifier. In either case you will experience an open ckt condition. If you are measuring a short ckt with an osciloscope, you have a output ckt problem in the amp, probably the output transformer. The fix for the first problem is to figure out the impedences of all the speakers going by how they are connected together and to the amp, then make sure this matches the amp impedence. then make sure the speakers are rated higher than the amp for power (watts, and the numbers that count most are "continuous" and "peak")

For the second problem, take it to a good electronics shop maybe.

All these numbers can get confusing, since some are incongruous at best and vary from manufacturer to manuf., so maybe just write all the numbers down and draw how it is all wired togtether and go to a stereo shop and ask them for some help.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Do your speakers and output receiver have the same ohm?