logging and file naming stuff

Is there a really great program to capture your video with? I have an HVR-Z1U (Sony). The thing is, if I use premiere pro 2.0 (my editing software, PC unfortunately...) I have to make sure the project settings are the same specs as my footage (ie; HDV or DVCam etc...). Is there a better program for capturing?

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Just to clarify, I believe only the capture settings need to be the same as the footage. For example, if you want to capture HDV footage into a DV project you just need to change the project's capture setting to HDV. You can still continue working with the project as a DV project.

I haven't actually tried this to confirm it but I went through the motions and it seems to be the case. A DV project certainly doesn't object when I set it up to capture HDV. Have you tried it? I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Of course it's good practice to shoot and edit in the same format if at all possible. I understand that it's not always possible, but personally I've decided to always shoot in HDV and down-convert if necessary when I'm done editing. I find it makes things easier - if I always do it the same it's one less thing for this aging brain to remember

One other thing.... the Z1U has a down-convert function which I'm sure you're aware of. It could be an option for some projects. I think I used it once to capture HDV footage into a DV project and IIRC it went okay.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I do not know anything about this camera, however Dave is right about only needing to set the capture settings to your tape format. I also do not recommend putting a bunch of different types of footage in one project for quality purposes, but you can mix and match as many as you would like, by just changing your Capture Settings
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

good stuff

Yeah, I've messed with the capture settings a bit and that makes sense, thanks.

I'm planing on shooting everything in HDV but I'm going to be posting a lot of streaming stuff for online ed. (teacher intros and what not) and we're a non-profit so somethings happen at times that make no sense at all to us homosapien-types. I'm sure I'm the first to experience this (sarcasm).

I can't get the Z1U to batch capture with premiere though, anyone have info on this?

Thanks again for the help guys!
    -rf