Laptop recording noise...

I have found a lot of noise in the things I have recorded on a laptop using the mic input. Is this limited to that input or should I expect the same issue if I used a firewire connection?

Yes, I am talking about using different kinds of equipment to feed it, too.

It is my understanding that standard computers typically add a lot of noise.

I was able to get the answer...I bought a PCMCIA sound card and it took care of the noise.

All I had to do to get the noise issue under control was put a preamp before the compuer input, (in my case, a small mixer to EQ and boost the levels) it gives me enough input level that any noise is very low and i an gate or edit it out.

Which card did you get? I'm looking at getting one anyway to give me more in/out options....

Sorry, I didn't get an alert that I got a response...

Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS. It was the only thing I could find in stock.

I bought it to convert my vinyl to digital, but haven't had time to mess with it.

as far as converting Vinyl to digital you picked a good card. all the noise will not be taken out, but most of it should. I still that you can not truly take out all the noise unless it is the first or second spin of that record. and come on we all know that is far from possible for anything you have in your collection
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!