Blog Entries

Nicholas Berg Murder

This week there's a clear winner for the most disturbing news story, with the Nicholas Berg beheading video released on the internet.

So, do you watch the video? I'll bet a fair number of people are right now staring at the "download video" button trying to decide if this is such a good idea.

Do you really want to have these sorts of images implanted in your head? You can't get them out once they're there. Is there any reason to watch it other than ghoulish fascination?

It's certainly not a case of can you watch the video - it's easy enough to find (although I'm still not going to say how). Bruce Simpson (www.aardvark.co.nz) spoke to the NZ Department of Internal Affairs this morning about the video, and they indicated that downloading and viewing the video is probably not illegal.

Our culture is struggling to define guidelines for this sort of thing. What makes you a ghoul? Tracking down and paying for snuff movies has always been seen as repulsive, but what about clicking a couple of buttons out of curiosity?

Blog Entries

And the plot thinkens

Controversy is brewing over the authenticity of the beheading video. Probably not surprising and no doubt the usual conspiracy theorists are involved. However there are some interesting comments coming through. In question are things like:

- The screams on the audio don't seem to follow the video
    - One of the attackers apparently wore a gold ring which is apparently forbidden by Islam
    - There is debate over the realism of the execution

In addition there seems to be more to Nick Berg's history with Iraq than has been made public. Apparently he was (mistakenly) put on a list of people who are considered "enemies of the Iraq occupation". There is speculation that this mistake ultimately led to his death, albeit through a convoluted path through various mysterious organisations.

Speculation is the key word here.

Spooky

Re: And the plot thinkens

I doubt whether the whole truth will ever come out. It sure is a mess.

Dave

Nicholas Berg Video Fake?

I went and had a closer look at some of the conspiracy theory arguments which claim to have proof that this video is fake. Pretty weak stuff really. I haven't seen any substantial evidence to indicate that the video isn't genuine.

Most of the conspiracy arguments follow a familiar pattern and include:

- Lack of analysis from any recognised video technical expert.
    - Finding potential anomalies and citing them as hard evidence.
    - Quoting one or two "authorities" (e.g. a medical doctor) about whom we know nothing.
    - Claiming that "mainstream media" are somehow complicit in the conspiracy, simply because it hasn't been covered on CNN.
    - The source of the conspiracy theory is openly biased.
    - Disregard for accepted principles of critical thinking.

So unless some actual evidence of a conspiracy emerges, it's a case of "Move along folks, nothing to see here..."

-dave

Pete

Re: Nicholas Berg Video Fake?

Top reasons why I believe the video to be fake!

1) If a head was just cut off wouldn't there be blood? Yet when it is set on the sheet there is no blood capilary action spreading onto the sheet! ( fake head)

2) If you were having even your fingure cut off without any drugs to numb pain would you squirm to get away? Notice he simply laid there.... (It was a dummy)

3) Blood splatter on the floor.... blood from your heart goes directly to your head then your body. If your head was cut off literally liters upon liters would be coming out not just the little puddle that was produced.

4) Video resolution.... If this was a true killing why such low video resolution....reason it is a dummy with low video resolution it is hard to say for sure that it is not a real body.

5) Body posture.... Notice during the lengthy speech made by the killers not even they can stay still....however, tied up or not... Nicholas Berg( or dummy) doesn't even blink much less move his head.

6) No body has even been presented! The family has not even been given proof of his truly body!

Summary, Nicholas Berg is a trader to his country and family! He is working with the terrorists, it was not mere coincidence that he let these terrorits use his laptop and email address!!!

We need to find him and execute him for his treason!

Blog Entries

Re: Nicholas Berg Video Fake?

I would love to give a detailed rebuttal but this topic has been done to death in other forums and I really don't think there's much life left in the conspiracy argument.

I can see why you'd be asking questions, but to make assuptions is a dangerous thing.

When I see a detailed analysis supporting your theory from a recognised medical doctor then I might take notice. Until then.... sorry but it's just another conspiracy theory with no substance.