Wiring audio in the home

Hello all - good info from everyone here, though I couldn't find an exact answer to my question.

I'm currently wiring my house for video and audio, intalling audio RCA, video RCA, component, S video, ethernet and coax in most rooms in the house. All will be wired to a closet housing distribution amps, routers, patch bays, etc.

I have some reclaimed cable I'd like to use in 2 types:
    • 1 pair insulated conductors, wrapped in foil with a bare-wire ground
    • 2 pair insulated conductors, each pair wrapped in foil with a single bare-wire ground.

My question is: can I wire stereo RCA with the 1 pair cable, wiring each individual conductor to each L and R center pins and spliting the bare-wire to the L and R shields? Or spliting the foil shield to the RCA shields? Will I get more interference this way?

Does it make a difference to use the bare-wire or foil as the ground?

My other option is to use the 2 pair cable, but I'd like to save that for the component/s video cables.

Thanks in advance.
    Brizmo
    Last edited by Brizmo; 25th Jan 2007 at 21:11. Reason: oops, I spelled "conductor" in the tails-and-baton fashion

whats the manufacturer # for the cable that you intend to use? A little confused as to your description of two pair wire, are they independently wrapped as two pair like 20 or 22 awg wires with jacketing + bare ground wire, then jacketed with pvc over the two wrapped pair?

The 2 pair cable is Belden 82723 and the 1 pair is Belden 82761. The 2 pair is two twisted pairs, each pair in it's own foil shield with a single ground wire for the whole cable - see pic.

After a little more research, I'm going with the single twisted pair for the audio and RG6 for the video. I'm running the 2 pair and leaving it unterminated, making room for future expansion. Does this sound right?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images