Pops and Clicks turning Mixer knobs - Help!

Hi - I have a Mackie 1604 VLZ-Pro mixer (5 years old). 16 channel. This is running in a church sound system. When Iadjust the gain or aux send knobs there is a lot of pops and clicks (static sound) it goes away when I stop turing hte knob. Anyone know what is causing this?

Blog Entries
    Sounds like dirty pots (potentiometers). You have two options - clean or replace them.

In either case you'll need to get under the hood and remove the pots for cleaning or replacing. Are you up for that? If so, let us know and we can provide more instructions. You'll probably need reasonable soldering skills.

If not, you'll need to take it to a repair shop and explain the situation. It's a fairly common problem so they should be able to deal with it.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Dave has most likely hit this on the head. If you are going to replace/clean them make sure this is not our first soldering job. It will need to be a neat job to work properly. If you are up to it....good for you and i have one i will send you to fix too if you want!
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Quote: asbennett
    View Post
    Hi - I have a Mackie 1604 VLZ-Pro mixer (5 years old). 16 channel. This is running in a church sound system. When Iadjust the gain or aux send knobs there is a lot of pops and clicks (static sound) it goes away when I stop turing hte knob. Anyone know what is causing this?

stop the presses. These things are notorious for this, but chances are its a few dollar fix. Go buy yourself a can of contact cleaner ( yes of course) but the pots and faders are not your nemesis here. Scince these mixers have a rotatable i/o section they are connected with ribbon connectors from the pc board to the i/o section. there is a panel on the back where these can be accessed. Take the ribbons off at the one end where you can see the connectors and spray both the panel mount and the ribbon termination with the contact cleaner, now work the connection in and out a few times and let it sit for a while. then work them inand out again. This will clear up 99% of the problems on these