Thread: balancing?

balancing?

What is the difference between 3-wire differentially balanced and 3-wire impedance balanced when building interconnect cables for components to mixer?
    I mix live audio to audience sizes ranging from press conference to arena concert rock and I have never heard these terms mentioned until a few days ago when I was reading through an Allen Heath mixer manual and they were indicating ways of interconnecting the console with outboard gear. It's not a make or break question so I'm in no hurry, just very curious.
    Thanks.

Quote: kbywg
    View Post
    What is the difference between 3-wire differentially balanced and 3-wire impedance balanced when building interconnect cables for components to mixer?
    I mix live audio to audience sizes ranging from press conference to arena concert rock and I have never heard these terms mentioned until a few days ago when I was reading through an Allen Heath mixer manual and they were indicating ways of interconnecting the console with outboard gear. It's not a make or break question so I'm in no hurry, just very curious.
    Thanks.
    what I believe you are getting at is the difference between the devices and not the cabling itself. The devices that are being connected would either have a balanced i/o with an active diferncial amplifier verses an i/o with a transformer balanced (balun) signal. The cable itself remains the same and would have more to do with maintaining unity throughout the system.

Thanks for your reply.
    The manufacturer responded with the following.
    "The Main, XLR Outputs are electronically balanced. And there's an
    optional upgrade for the aux outs, to have these electronically
    balanced also. Meaning, the outputs are IC transformer isolated and
    balanced.
    Impedance balanced is achieved through a simple resistor circuit.
    The differences would be in the output levels, electronically balanced
    being at a +4dBu and impedance balanced at -2dBu. Also, if running long
    cable distances, electronically balanced systems will have better noise
    cancelling features."

Anyway, thanks for the space.

You should determine the difference between the devices and not the cables.