Thread: Boom Microphone

Boom Microphone

Hi. I'm new here. I'm an incredibly cheap filmmaker who wants to get the best possible audio for my latest films.

I have a Shure PG58 that I'll be using for voice-overs. It ran me $35. Excellent quality. But I really want to use a boom for everything else...

My question is, what microphone should I put on a boom? I looked over this whole site and while there's lots of useful information and even a page on booms, I can't find anything about what microphones to actually use with a bloody boom. I don't know what kind of direction to look for, and I'd rather go with a dynamic mic since I haven't got a phantom power supply.

I can't afford to spend a lot of money, but I'd like the best bang for my buck. Any suggestions?

this is what i use on my boom

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...4dc/index.html

about 250.00
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Quote: Toupee
    View Post
    Hi. I'm new here. I'm an incredibly cheap filmmaker who wants to get the best possible audio for my latest films.

I have a Shure PG58 that I'll be using for voice-overs. It ran me $35. Excellent quality. But I really want to use a boom for everything else...

My question is, what microphone should I put on a boom? I looked over this whole site and while there's lots of useful information and even a page on booms, I can't find anything about what microphones to actually use with a bloody boom. I don't know what kind of direction to look for, and I'd rather go with a dynamic mic since I haven't got a phantom power supply.

I can't afford to spend a lot of money, but I'd like the best bang for my buck. Any suggestions?

Depending on if you have to have a boom or not, you may look into a pzm style mic such as the crown audiograbber. battery operated and can be placed on any surface.

Newer member than you.

Kaw's recommendation's cool... mine's a cheaper option from the same makers, minding you to note the difference (I think), in the output connector (Kaw's rec has XLR plugs I believe, my rec uses 3.5 plug).

http://www.mediacollege.com/forum/sh...14&postcount=3

My 5 cents' worth, if it's not too late. Have lotsa fun!
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore