Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The box has "Pinnacle Studio Titanium Edition Plus" and the paperwork inside the box said, "Pinnacle Studio Version 10.6 Plus TE EUUS".

It is a Pinnacle Studio Version 10.6 but having just spent nearly an hour on the telephone with someone I think that they reached the conclusion that we did everything he could think of to make the software run and in the end it may be worth considering if the video card that I have is any use and even maybe installing an aditional hard drive.

Hmm... sounds like you bought the package without hardware... I was at the computer store yesterday but did not find 10.6, only 10.5. Continue experimenting with the hardware configurations, and maybe later you can share it with the rest of the good people here. Cheerio
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

My version of Pinnacle has, "Pinnacle Studio Titanium Edition Plus on the box and when I checked for updates it said, "10.6".
    I have a supplementary question which may expose my lack of knowledge.
    Is it possible to connect the VCR that I have the VHS tapes on to my computer using a USB or Firewire?

Do not use USB!. The results will be disappointing.
    Did the package come with hardware?
    You need to connect the vhs to some sort of capture device. Your options are, if no hardware was supplied with Pinnacle, either a cheap TV capture card (try to get one with a hardware encoder built into it), a more expensive Canopus/Dazzle type product that comes as either a pci card or break out box that connects to your computer via firewire or if you can get your hands on a digital camcorder then you can connect the vhs via that.

I brought a Canon MVX250i camcorder for about the same price as a canopus product and it supports analoge to digital pass thru. I can connect an analoge device like a vhs or old camcorder up to the canon and it converts the signal as it passes thru. Otherwise you have to record the video onto the digital camcorder then transfer it onto the computer via firewire. The results from using the analoge to digital pass thru are very good.

I was getting reasonably good results by using a leadtec tv 2000 deluxe capture card to capture footage from my old hi8 camcorder before buying the Canon mvx250i. The leadtec card only costs about $70-$100 NZ.

You also need a lot of hard drive space especially if you want to edit the footage before burning it to dvd.

Westie
    A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'

Westie's suggestion is good for both your questions, BML.

Video capturing requires not only software, but hardware. Firewire PCI cards (on your motherboard) are much more affordable now. I think it could be possible for you to get one under USD40. USB 2.0 have been rumoured to have faster transfer rates, but it cannot handle video transfers. I have tried experimenting with it. You lose a lot of digitized information and your 'captured' video: Unusable.

Analogue to digital pass through is the most time-saving method. Since digitizing is real-time for this case, you'll spend half the time as compared to transferring it onto tapes on camera afterwhich you digitize the tape.

I will try to rig a set up with my old equipment and take a pix for you later when I go to office, if time allows (lots of assignments this wk!)
    Loong . Singapore

Okie quickie quickie...

Here you see a quick setup with a D8 handycam. It receives input from the VCR via RCA cables and outputs it to the computer via firewire (the silver cable (right)

DSC00490.jpg

Attach the firewire to your PC, and turn on your video camera at the VTR/VCR mode (they're the same thing). Your PC will detect the camera once it turns on.

Open your software, to Capture and the black/blue window will appear. Set up where you want the captured video to be (depending on the software)

To try the connection, Get to the A/V (in) > DV out and turn it on

DSC00492.jpg
    DSC00493.jpg

Whoala... on both screens!

DSC00495.jpg

Click capture, go and attend to your laundry and other matters...

Not sure if it gives a better picture, not only to you, but others who may want to attempt the same thing.

Have fun!

Loong . Singapore

there is some good advice in here! to answer the usb/firewire question, ALWAYS use the more information option! in this case Firewire is a much better cable then USB!
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12