I am having a great deal of difficulty finding a codec that will work with Windows Media Encoder to encode mpg files to wmv. I have two systems to work with; One is a 1 Ghz Dell that has a fresh install of Media Center on it with 1 gb of memory. And another sytem which is a Dual core processor with 2 gb of memory and has Windows XP Pro on it. I am simply trying to encode these mpg files to wmv. I have developed the "target audiences bitrate and resolution" and I want to use Windows Media Encoder 9 (eventually Windows Media Batch Encoder from the WME SDK).

On my power machine, everytime I open an mpg file with WME9, it crashes with the error, "the audio codec is not installed." I've tried installing the Intervideo 5 player, the Nvidia Pure Video, Elecard and nothing works consistently.

I used GSpot to review the file and it says the it is using the Elecard MPEG2 Demultiplexor (mpeg2dmx.ax)-> Ligos MPEG Video Decoder (lmpgvd.ax)-> Overlay Mixer2 (qdvd.dll) -> Video Renderer (quartz.dll). For the audio it says it is using Elecard MPEG2 Demultiplexor (mpeg2dmx.ax)-> AC3Filter (ac3filter.ax) -> Default DirectSound Device (quartz.dll). And the file plays in GSpot with no errors. This system has a SoundBlaster XFi sound card which is installed and works beautifully. The files play just fine in Windows Media Player 11 on this system.

The MCE system, doesn't play mpg files out of the box, so I've been using it to experiment with codecs, but I haven't found a combination that works with Windows Media Encoder 9. My old 550 MHz system will crunch mpgs -> WMV all day, but it takes 2 1/2 days to process one mpg file! I wish I could remember how I got it to work 2+ years ago when I first installed Server 2003 on it!

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here.
Please help me.

Chicago Fire