Free video editors

I'm not very fond of buying software when it comes to playing around with stuff on my computer, I prefer free software - since alot of it does the job just as well (in most cases, for me) than anything you have to pay for.
    I have been looking around the net and was wondering if you guys have any opinions or recomendations on what is a good alternative to commercial software, particularly Video Editors. Thank You.

first i would say DO NOT STEEL EDITING EQUIPMENT......THERE IS A HIGH RISK OF BEING CAUGHT.

that being said if you do not want to heed my warning, lime wire, or any torrent sight you can download any of the big names out there
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Interesting Reply, I was more along the lines of freeware, programs that people make with the complete intention of being free - but Thank You at least for the reply.

Avid give away a version their DV editing software called Avid free DV, it can be downloaded from their website, along with a training package. It's not the easiest to get to grips with but is capable of really good results.