Thread: MiniDV --

MiniDV --

I've always wondered if it would be possible to do a professional (or even semi-professional) production with a regular, consumer-level MiniDV camcorder - i, personally, own a JVC cam, model no. GR-D350AA

also, i couldn't find a better way to record sound other than to use its rather crappy mic that mainly picks up the camcorder's motor more than anything else. Any opinions or advice on this would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank You.

really i would look into getting a new camera.

I have no clue what your budget is, but really the only thing you could use is the footage and some of that will be shotty at best. I do use Mini DV (HDV) but they are professional cameras. and as far as audio with that camera you would need an external mic source and way to record it.

Sorry about the news
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Mini DV

I'm not familiar with that particular camera, but it should be possible to shoot perfectly acceptable material as long as you follow the rules of shooting, use a tripod and don't try anything too eleborate, certainly worth giving it a go, then if you make money, get a better camera for the next project. Sound however is a problem, use a good quality microphone and external recorder, minidisc, dat, or pro quality audio cassette and use a clapper board or flash gun to sync sound for editing. A useful book to read is "The $30 Film School" by Michael Dean, lots of useful info on low budget production.

Thank you VERY much for the advice, budget isn't a problem for me but I'm the kind of guy who tries to get the most out of something for as little as possible - I am Definately going to look into those methods of Audio, mfd70, so thanks for the info!!

I used an old panasonic mini dv camera to film a production we had going at the school i worked at, for sound we ran it streight out the sound desk, this turned out alright. Then with the money we made we were able to buy a new sony hdd camcorder!

That's a lot of money you've earned, ui05!

B_List19, it's exciting to know you're onto something great. I agree with the rest about sound. Doesn't matter how magnificent your video turns out. If audio's of concern (eg just dialogue), crappy sound is all you need to spoil it all. Just be mindful that you DO need to have adequate lighting for the video to turn out okie, esp low light conditions. ALL video cameras need that for great footage.

One suggestion: Borrow/Rent