Pretend Boom Mic

Hi,

I just got a voice recorder because I cannot plug a mic into my camcorder. I found a mic i've had for a couple of years attached it to my boom stick and tested it around when people are talking, you can hear hissing in the back and the quality isn't that good sounds like someone is talking with the bag over there head. I have 40 to spend and i'm trying to look for a good mic but can't find. It has a 3.5mm pin. I wan't one that you can get a wind shield with or buy it seperatly at the end of the day that doesn't really matter, I would just like a mic, that is very good. I know TV stations have nearly 10 times as much budject as i do but on live shows I see there boom mics, they are a reasonable length away and the mic is over them and you can hear them crystal like they where talking into the mic.

Any suggestion would be great. Thanks

stereo or mono?

Hi I'm still not very sure what kind of production you are doing but I thought I'll suggest one anyhow.

I'm using Audiotechnica ATR55 (mono mike):

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...dd5/index.html

Calculating with my lousy counting skills, it is about 10 pounds more than what you are prepared to pay. For this price, the ATR55 does a fair job, and it has stayed with me for the last 3-4 yrs with as much care as I can give it. It came back with a dent after I lent it to somebody, but it still works. So, not a bad deal.

Setback: It doesn't come with a nice box. But that's easy to settle. Just measure the length & diameter (with the sponge 'windshield' on), purchase a white PVC pipe for piping purposes, cut it to length, whoala, your mic holder!

But don't just take my word for it. Please try it out with your recorder to check the levels. Do it.

Trust it's helpful.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Yeah, is it for a mono or stereo?

Im not an expert or anything, but I read this really good on sound that may help you may find useful, http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...ion_sound.html,
    and if I have the facts down right, your 3.5mm jack and cord are 'unbalanced' meaning basically that unless you use the best possible cords (preferably short less than three ft), are careful about any pressure you apply to the cord plag while in the jack (ie. don't hang anything off of it) and use a new and good quality mic, your sound will have a horrid hiss in it, snow, and will just be sub-par. You should be fine as long as you follow those simple rules and/or(preferably) read the article (its long, but very important and worth your time if are uncertain about the aspect of audio). Good Luck.

And by the way, You might need a bit more than that for a real good (or even adequate) mic. that works on 3.5mm pin - I could be wrong, Im Australian so Im not familiar with the value of the pound .vs. the AUD dollar. Fun huntin' to ya

A balanced XLR definitely beats a 3.5mm plug hands-down. B_List19 is not wrong, question goes back to your intended purpose. BTW, good site reference! But be reminded what comes in between the camera/recorder and the mic: the mixer/field mixer. *Wink*
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

B_list has a point 40 pounds is ~ 80 dollars US and i am not too sure that you are going to find a decent shotgun mic for that amount of cash. here is where i buy all my stuff, it is a good place to find prices! (this is the shotgun mic page)
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ar&A=search&Q=

By the way i also use an Audio-Technica mic. the ones that i have (3 of them) are AT897 and they are $600 (about 305 pounds)
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!