XLR to Mini Jack Wiring

Hi,
    Im looking at wiring up a 2x xlr to mini jack cable to hook up a laptop to our sound-desk and wanted to check that my wiring is correct before i do any damage!

My idea is to:
    Connect pins 1&3 to sleve on both the left and right XLR plau (i presume there is no different between joining these in the XLR end then running seperate cables down.... correct?)

Connect pin 2 on the left xlr to the tip

and connect pin 2 on the right xlr to the ring.

I am presuming i wont need a DI or such device to process the signal, correct?

Thanks for the assistance
    UI05

This would give you signal, yes! is it correct no!, You would be wise to use an impedence matching device such as a dual DI or there are many other solutions for this , whirlwind, Radial, Rolls and so on all make a device for this. This will solve the problem of impedence as well as the problem of drive noise and emi. or to make it easy, go 1/4" unbalanced to 1/8".

You no longer need a DI to process the signal.

So the method i stated will work, and a DI is not required?

ui05 it will work. It will not be the best quality sound. It all depends on what you are doing with it!
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!