spot before my eyes

Hi have a wide angle lens that shows small black round/oval marks when camera is on very close focus. I know it is the lens because they move when I unscrew lens from the camera. In low light conditions the autofocus picks up on these spots before the subject. I can't see any marks on the lens. Any ideas or is this just flaws in a cheap(ish) lens?

Thanks John

John,

One of my employees came to me with the same problem the other day. With out being there and looking at your lens, i can not tell you exactly what it is, however the problem here was that he was using a clear lens filter and the lens was seeing its self reflecting off the filter. I am not sure if you are using a attachable filter, but if you are, take it off and see if that is the problem.

hope this helps

RJ
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Hey John.
    Do you actually see the spots in the lens as you shoot, or do they only show after taking the image?

I was inclined to agree that you're getting reflection from filter to lens, Except - I've only noticed that problem myself with high contrast shots - like getting a 'double' image of the bright moon at night, as it reflects from filter to glass. And I see bright spots, not black.

Lenses, cheap or otherwise, are not the airtight vaults we want to think - dust and dirt can invade the glass at any time - chance of that increases over time and with adverse conditions like humidity, dust, extreme temperatures.

My real guess is that you just have dirt on your digital sensor - ccd. That is enough to grind your autofocus down to dust, as its constantly fooled by the crud it sees.

To summarize, I think you have dust and dirt somewhere - on the ccd or perhaps the lens - but I agree that shooting without that filter is the best way to start the investigation. Thanks John and good luck!

eyepatch

internal dust

A closer examination of the lens with a flashlight has revealed some internal dust. The camera seems to be able to focus past this without noticeable degradation of the image. Guess I will have to live with it or get the lens serviced. Thanks for help guys.

I would advise getting the lens cleaned. If the dust is in the inside, those glass pieces are not as tough as the ones on the outside, even a little dust could scratch the glass on the inside. believe me it is cheaper to get it fixed then have to buy a new one.
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!