Optimum PC for video work?

I may have asked this question before and if I have not I bet someone else has.
    The thought crossed my mind that it may be worthwhile to buy a computer and keep it just for working on video and digital photographs.
    Would anyone care to sugest what spec I should go for and what sort of price I should expect?

If you have a good, fairly late model, made in the last 3-4 years computer lthen it should be ok for using as a video and graphics oriented computer. Will probably need tweaking with some new parts etc. So then i would look at buying an older say p3 for the internet connection and downloads. Make sure they are both running XP and make sure that the hard drive on the big computer is formated in the NTSC file format for sving large video files.
    Pack them up with as much ram as they can take and you should be fine.

Thats what i have/do. I've a P4, 2.26ghz, 80gb hd (for OS) and a 160gb hd for video files.

Works well for me till i get around to upgrading to the new Duo core chips.

Westie.
    A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'

though westie is right with his answer.......my opinion, and that is all it is, is an opinion, is a good PC is an oxymoron. Get a mac and FCP and you will be golden!
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Let's go by usage and budget!

Usage
    Over time, I work and have learnt to work on both mac and pc, call me a hybrid, minus the genius of course. Both have strengths and weaknesses. But this is not the occasion to answer that.

westie's touched on these, but I want to elaborate on just a few points. If you want to use a pc, remember a few important stuff to include:
    - fast processor. Like what westie said, you don't need the latest to make something fairly decent. But I believe in stretching my dollar. If I were to invest in something a little too old now, it'll become obsolete very soon. I mean very soon. So depending on how deep I am willing to dig into my pocket, I'll likely go for one of the top 3 processors. No offence, but so far I have stuck with Intel chips and am not inclined to others.

- Graphics card
    If you really enjoy doing graphics/photos/videos, get a graphic card that supports dual monitors (in short, having a 'virtually' bigger workspace). It really helps for putting the tool bars/palettes, you-name-its.

- Capture card
    Nowadays motherboards come with a firewire port, so it's likely not needed. But if you are keen for serious stuff, yeah, maybe you'll consider cards that capture HDMI?

- RAM & HDD
    If you intend to have 2 HDD within one casing, I strongly suggest buying another fan... they get REAL hot... it's wiser to keep them cool...

- Software
    Ah... don't forget this. No Windows Vista. Repeat after me. NO Windows Vista. It is still buggy, at least with the pc chips and stuff (I heard it runs perfectly fine with Mac's Intel chips. Don't ask me why). Anyhow it's still good news cos with Vista, XP is cheap! So at the end of the line: PC OS = XP (pro or home, you decide. I opt for Pro)

Mac wise, everything can be found in the online Apple store. Feel free to visit. Good part. OS comes free with your purchase, firewire ready, dual monitor is ready. But you might take a short while to get used to the Mac environment. It's not too bad.

Budget
    For a pc. If you want DIY, it could be cheaper. At least it is where I am. About USD1700 or less for a decent CPU.

I strongly do not recommend buying big-name brands for 2 reasons. First you have to get other parts from them, can't change it yourself. Second, why do I want to get stuff from them when I know how to do it myself, better still I have friends who can do it? It costs! Unless you have little to no idea about maintaining a PC, perhaps it's a good idea.

For a mac. everything can be found in the online Apple store. Feel free to visit. You can even configure the hardware settings to know how much to pay. It's quite dear for the higher end models (like the Mac Pro). If not you might want to consider a iMac (about USD1700? Monitor, mouse, keyboard all thrown in). You might overwork the system with FCP though...

Now... what say you?
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

First of all lets remember that I live in rip of Britain where we pay more for computer stuff that in America.
    As a technical novice I am not up to building a computer so I surfed the web and came across a couple of sugestions:
    1. A Novatech Isys Pro 6300.
    2. A Novatech NForcer 420.
    I have two questions:
    1. Does anyone have a view on these?
    2. I think that I read that if one restricts a PC to just video work it does not require an oporating system. Is that correct?

Bigger is actually better

At work, I've been given the rights to a monster.

Dual core processors, a terrabyte of hard drive space, a couple of gigs of ram, matrox card, adobe premeir, and a bunch of other really cool stuff. All this can be had for $10k. Here's the real kicker... I work in Planning where we handle strategic planning and business development. Nothing close to media production!

I assume you don't want to spend that much though.

If I were you, I would buy something with a big hard drive space and a boatload of Memory. If nothing else, feel free to add those components in an aftermarket setting. You can pick up memory for dirt cheap and hard drives aren't too bad either.

I dont know about these two Novatech items you've mentioned but I have just purchased all the components from Novatech in Portsmouth to build my own Intel Core 2 Duo 6600, 820Gb HD's,4GB RAM, GEForce 7950GT Vid Card and an ATX motherboard all for 830.And it Rocks..The service I got from Novatech was excellent and with the help of a mate we had the thing built and working in under two and a half hours. Nagars point about finding a friend who can help is cool. You'll save a fortune DIY'ing it and end up with a comp thats gonna be valid for a while. My 2 pennies worth!.

Oh! and you'll still need an OS to install and run your editing software. Stick with XP.