Audio in a larger room

Newbie here. I have a DVC 30 that I will be using to record a series of seminar presentations in two different environments. The first will be a ballroom of a hotel with seating of around 400 and I will be recording what is on the large projector screen. The presenters will be using a sound system. The second will be smaller classroom style which will have projector screens and I will also be shooting the presenter. My question is this; what should I use to capture the sound. I am sure that my on-board stock mike will not be sufficient and there will be too much background noise especially in the ballroom. I don't need great sound, but I want to be able to hear what is said over the scraping of chairs etc... I have access to studio quality Shur mikes and this might be my answer OR, should I simply plug into the presenters sound system with the XLR plug. (I assume there is an adapter for the XLR input on the DVC 30 since the plug is much smaller than the XLR on the mike.) Can I go as far as 40 feet with this cord?
    I am sure that there is a simple answer to this but I do still photography and am REALLY new to the video game.
    Quick answers would be appreciated as I leave for the seminars in three days.

Thanks.
    JB

If you have access to the sound system with a XLR cord this would be the way to go. you can use as much cord as you need. if you do not have access to the sound system that the presenter is using, then my suggestion would be to use one of those shure mics that you have access to and place it about 3-5 feet away from a speaker on a mic stand
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Thanks for the quick reply. This is what I thought, but it is nice to get some advice from someone who has been there. Now to find an xlr mini to normal adapter...

Thanks again. I owe you that beer.

JB

Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!