Great MiniDV Camcorders?

I've managed to pull together around $4,000 (AUD) and now I want to get hold of a decent, if not great, camcorder in that price range to play around with. Any good suggestions? Thank You

Ok first, it all depends on what you are looking to do with it. and it also depends on your perception of the words good and great. I for one do not think you are getting a great camera for that kind of money. that being said however, Here are a few that I have experience with and would look at for 4000 (AUD) [3100 USD]

Panasonic AG-DVX100B

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Sony DSR-PD170

Canon GL-2 Mini

and if you can save just a little more i HIGHLY RECOMMEND this camera

JVC GY-HD110U

I hope this helps you on you LONG journey in finding a new camera that fits your needs. If you have any questions, please feel free to post in here and i will try my best to answer what you need.

I am sure that you will get a lot of other opinions from this site and other sources. The best advise i can give you is take your time and do you homework!

please also post your decision in here!
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Well, I don't suppose the cameras Kaw's rec'ed are only good 'playable' stuff. Some are broadcast entries! Good enough for most prosumers. The JVC's (pro) almost twice your purse size (but I agree it's one of those beauties around, and not to mention the newest baby JVC's introduced with ext HDD recording/film lens mount capability with adapters).

But before that, think of buying a camera as buying a set of tires for a car. Would you buy Porsche tires for a Toyota? Well you get first class (that is if you think Porsche's great) tires, but not on a first class car (apologies to Toyota, just an example). The same goes for a camera system. Having a great camera's cool, just don't forget abt the pheripherals like your editing suite, hardware, software (very impt!) and those cost! A little planning goes a long way. I trust you may know that.

My take for the moment: Sony HVR-V1P/N (last alphabet for PAL or NTSC) but you gotta save abt AUD1.4k more.

http://www.sony.com.au/objects/Other/HVRV1P/html/

Some straightforward reasons:
    - It is HDV (so when you're ready to switch. you've got it still)
    - It has ext-HDD recording capability

There was some kinda bug in it (maybe in Europe) but I think it could have been solved.

Find the one that best suits your usage. Go try them out and have fun!
    Last edited by nagar; 24th Feb 2007 at 12:24.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

DV cameras

I think the most producers are now thinking about working in HD, so I'd aviod the PD170 as it will probably soon be obsolete, the Sony HVR-V1 or Z1 are excellent cameras, I don't know how much they are in the southern hemisphere but they're about 3000 - 3500 here. There is a cheaper smaller single chip HDV camera too the Sony HVR-A1 about 1600, it's quite good but has limited functionality and it's low light performance is not that good. However HDV is not considered to be broadcast quality HD. If your not concerned with HD at all and can find good second hand gear, a used Sony DSR-450 with a good lens would be an option, though you'll pay a lot for batteries and a tripod.

I'm personally leaning toward the
    Panasonic AG-DVX100B for two reasons:
    1-
    it can record at 24 frames per second like film.( as far I can tell from research on various websites - so I could be wrong or fooled into thinking thats 'good')

2-
    It features two XRL balanced audio inputs and has a great rep. (from what I've read) for having some of the best audio system of 'pro'sumer camcorders.

I'm going to do alot more looking into this one and the others camcorders (download PDF manuals for them .etc) but it definately sounds like it would be the best camera for me to experiment with. Thanks for the informative reply and all, kawsakimx6. And I'll definately post if I need Qs answered. Thank You

It is a GREAT camera i do feel that if you pick it you will not be let down! The one thing that i do not like about this camera is that the lens is not interchangeable. But, to many people that is not a problem at all! so if you do not care about that then this is a GREAT camera! If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.
    Manoni Productions

I also agree with Nagar about trying one out! I am not sure about in your town, but there are plenty of places that will let you take (rent) the camera(s) that you are interested in and use them. Most of the time they will give you the rent money back if you buy one of the cameras.
    Manoni Productions