Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

VHS to DVD to PC to edit and burn?

I have a lot of old VHS tapes that I would like to edit the rubbish out of and burn to DVDs to give to my children. The rubbish that I want edit out is stuff like the hour or so of film of a newly built pond filling with water.
    I am not very technical and have got as far as being able to connect the VHS player to a TV and play the tape while it was being recorded on a DVD recorder. I then checked that it would play back on the TV and it did.
    My next step was to get the recorded files onto my computer and I leant how to do that.
    I then discovered that there were two primary folders:
    One, the Video R_M with a number of sub folders such as BUP VAT IFO
    Two, the Video R_M with a number of sub folders such as BUP IFO and Vob.
    The VOB folders held the film.
    I then discovered that the VOB folders needed to be converted to MPEG or AVI which meant a piece of software I did not have.
    After looking at a number of forums I reached the conclusion that the best way to do what I wanted was to connect my VHS player to my computer and I read that there were a number of ways to do this.
    1. Using an external device such as Xpert DVD Maker USB 2.0 but that was not successful.
    2. Using the "Video in" socket at the back of my Mesh computer which has a mauve cable leading to a mauve four pin socket marked 1. Red coloured R Audio out. 2. White coloured L Audio out. 3. Yellow coloured Comp Video out. 4. Black coloured S-Video out. I then connected these to a scart adaptor which is plugged into the VHS player but as I did not have the appropriate software that got no where.
    3. I understand that there is a method where one connects the VHS player to a fire wire connector on the computer but I donít know how.

So, now the question: Which is the most effective method to do what I want to bearing in mind that I believe that the VHS connected to the computer appears to be considered the better route?

Canopus ADVC110 converter works well for me.

Canopus ADVC110 converter costs close to £200.00. I thought I read that there was a way to connect a VHS player direct to the computer and using the appropriate software transfer the VHS content to the computer. Is that correct and if so what software would one use?

I here use a version of a DA-MAX+ (also close to $200) i feel that for this particular problem, and especially if you are not planning on doing much stuff from VCR, you may want to look in to sending them off to a prod company for this one, the cost for something like that would be should be around 50 bucks or so. It is just an idea
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

I have used a Dazzle DV Bridge with the Firewire connection for years and it has worked out well. USB is way to slow of a connection. Dazzle is no longer produced but you can get them on eBAy for a cheap price if cost is a concern.

or you can visit and try Convert VHS to DVD services and transfer your home video tapes to dvd.

If you have a camcorder, you can transfer it to the camcorder media and then transfer it to PC.

As stated above, many digital camcorders have an RCA or S-Video input that would allow you to capture your VHS tapes through the digial camers, into your PC.

Also, Pinnacle offers software (Studio 10) and a PCI capture card (DC-10) together for under $100.

If you don't already have a digital video camera, I'd opt for spending $300 and getting one rather than spend $100 for just a capture card. You can get editing software FREE from Microsoft.

I finally bought a copy of Pinnacle, connected my VCR to my computer but I am having problems.

I opened Studio launcher.
    Clicked on the 10 Pinnacle Studio Plus box.
    Pinnacle Studio Plus then loaded.
    I pressed "Capture in the left hand side of the top tool bar.
    The screen in the top right-hand side of the main screen plaid and showed the VHS tape picture in colour and gave sound.
    I pressed Start Capture in the middle box and a Capture video box appears.
    I pressed the start capture button and the picture disappears although the sound continues.
    Please can someone tell me what to do to get Pinnacle to actually capture the VHS input that is showing on the Pinnacle screen?Pinnacle.
    In the Setup Options/Capture source dialogue, is the Capture preview box checked?

I don't have a graphics card that also captures, so the next one is a guess. If you capture a bit of video (even though it's not showing in preview), stop the capture and then switch to edit mode, has the video actually been captured, or is it still just black - it should be in the album.

Hi BML,

Not sure if this can be of use.

http://www.informit.com/articles/art...?p=426773&rl=1

It'll be good if you can let the good people here know exactly which product you've bought from Pinnacle Systems (Cos Studio 10 comes in different packages) so we can best think along with you.

Trust that helps
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast