Bleeding reds & oranges

I'm working on a video that was made using three cameras. Two Canon DV digital cameras & one Sony Hi8 analogue camera. The Hi8 was used as a backup.
    The project needs some of the footage that was caught using the Hi8 camera but the problem is that the reds & oranges bleed badly in the Hi8 footage compared to the DV footage.
    So what i want to do is tone the reds & oranges down using an effect in premiere pro (7).
    What effect should i be using to do this?

Cheers, westie
    A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'

Aww... that's sticky... I don't know anything free to solve this. There's a shareware called topaz enhance... I think it might possibly help but it's shareware... you gotta pay.

Is there any way you can design the video in such a way that those shots captured in Hi8 are 'special' shots, eg they appear in b&w or single tone or something...? That's how I 'cheat' sometimes... but I call that creativity. :P
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

How did you capture the Hi8, composite or S-Video ? It may be worth re-capturing the analog material with another deck.

Quote: mfd70
    View Post
    How did you capture the Hi8, composite or S-Video ? It may be worth re-capturing the analog material with another deck.
    I used the analogue to digital pass through feature in my digital camera.

Nagar, how about one of the effects that comes bundled with Premiere like 'Colour Balance', 'Colour Pass' etc. Will any of those work and if so, which one?

I had a play with most of the colour effects/filters and some of them do help a bit but i thought I'd ask in case someone knows the proper way of going about it.

Quote: westie
    View Post
    ...how about one of the effects that comes bundled with Premiere like 'Colour Balance', 'Colour Pass' etc. Will any of those work and if so, which one?

I had a play with most of the colour effects/filters and some of them do help a bit but i thought I'd ask in case someone knows the proper way of going about it.

Bleeding reds with Hi8 & D8 capture is a known issue. Re-capturing in another deck as have been suggested, just means you'll still be 'digitizing it onto another digital device' which doesn't take care of bleeding because it is inherent in the Master footage, it makes no difference.

I thought about those functions too Westie. But they don't hit the nail on the head. Colour balance merely reduce intensity/saturation of individual colours, possibly making the bleed less obvious but it will not remove/reduce it (that 'halo'). Since you've tried it I think you could have noticed that it affects the other aspects of red (less intense/saturated, esp skin tones) too. Question: Is that acceptable for your project?

As for Colour Pass, I have the inkling (sorry I've only used it once or twice) that it takes away/retains a certain colour/hue decided by the user... is that so? Sorry really can't recall and I'm not in office to figure it with you.

Haha... well I usually don't practice proper ways. I usually dream up a solution in my head, try it, and later ask... and I have one idea, maybe try masking (and utilizing layers), esp if the footage is a still shot. But that's just too crazy and I'd suggest you wait a while for more advice.
    Loong . Singapore

You understand my dilemma well nagar.

I ended up using the 'Colour Reduce RGB' filter/effect. I think thats what its called. Not using the program at the mo. I reduced the Red by 10 and it helped but as you said it effected the whole clip and still didn't remove the halo but its a lot better than it was.

Shouldn't have this problem again since we'll be using all dv cameras next time.
    I'd luv to be able to have access to some nice cameras, stabilizers and tripods for the next one but can't see that happening.

Apologies that I can only empathize, but no proper solution.

I still shoot with Hi8 (analogue) here and there, if not having to recall archived Hi8 tapes for editing. So this difficulty haunts me.

If video is a serious hobby or you're making it a profession, build up your system slowly but maybe long-term planning to move the current system to the next level. Consider consumer HDV cams from both Sony and Canon?

Boy, here I go babbling again... well cheers and a job well done!
    Loong . Singapore