Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Choosing the Right Camera & Microphone

Hello everyone! It's my first time experience being on this forum and I should say that itís very helpful as well as educational. I actually have couple of questions. My first one is about the selecting the right camera.

I'm about to begin my first documentary project and I would like to ask about specific camera model to see whether or not this is the right model to consider. JVC GY-100HD.
    I don't want to over spend money and to buy at the same time unit that won't carry necessary features. I've looked via different models and I'm not sure if this one will serve my needs. Please drop me few lines to see if I'm on the right track.

I also looked at the Sony DSR-PD150 Pro the cost is significant low. The purpose of the camera that I'm looking for is to shoot people interviews, cultural gatherings, special events and etc.

My second question is about the microphone. Most cameras carrying build in mic however by going over via video tutorial it's highly recommended to have mic used separately. I've looked via several models and I found "Sennheiser" ME 66/K6 Short shotgun microphone. Please tell me if this model will serve my needs. Thank you.

one second
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

OK so you have left this question wide open and therefore will probably get a ton of answers. however i will start. first what type of Doc. are you doing? what is your budget? (quite large seeing how the GY-100 series is in the 5,000 - 10,000 dollar range) I could not find the exact camera you have mentioned, but i do use 2 JVC GY-100 series cameras, and i LOVE them. and would recommend them to anyone here is a link to my exact camera.:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

I also have the anton bauer battery system and the firestore drive for it. If you have the money, and are serious about buying a camera. this is a GREAT ONE!!!!

Secondly. I do agree that having a separate mic is going to be better for you! If you are going to use a boom/shotgun mic, make sure you are going to have someone there to hold the mic and get levels and correct as needed. If you will not have another person, you may want to start with a camera mounted mic. there are some good options out there and get a good wind sock for it......acutely get a good wind sock for any mic used outside. As far as the Sennheiser ME 66/K6. this is a good mic, (I have not seen there short shotgun in this model, but DO NOT GET A SHORT SHOTGUN MIC! if you want to stay with a Sennheiser ME66/K6 then check out the link below: (it is the normal one in a kit, all you need)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

I hope this helps, and please do not hesitate to ask any questions. and please enjoy yourself in these forums!
    Manoni Productions

Blog Entries
    Don't think I can add much, just...

The JVC and Sony cameras you mention are fine cameras, not absolutely top of the line but suitable for your purposes. I think the difference in price between the JVC and the Sony is because the Sony is an older, standard definition model. The JVC is HDV. You might want to think about how important HD is for you.

You can't go too far wrong with Sennheiser mics.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hey Guys million of thanks to you all. It feels great to be surrendered by fellows like you. I know in fact that there are quite few format differences. Some of them I know what they stand for.

However I'm not quite sure about HDV & Mini DV format differences.
    Dave! Back to your question I absolutely fine with starting with inexpensive camera because I'm a very strong believer that it is all about skills rather equipment level. All I need just enough to get started. Yes budget does matter .

My next question about place of purchase. I'm sure you know that E-Bay became a serious place for buying and selling staff. My question how safe it is to buy a slightly used camera from a positive feedback member. I understand there is some risk involved but I want to listen to your people opinions as well. Thanks.
    Last edited by skrasnopolsky; 27th Mar 2007 at 16:51.

Mini DV and HDV are shot on the same tape. just the digital format is different. One is SD(Mini DV and one is HD (HDV)

ebay is a good option if you can get a new camera from a reliable seller (look at the feed back, make sure that what he is selling you is not his first camera, make sure he sells that kind of stuff all the time) I use B&H a lot. the prices on new things usually cant be beat and the costumer service is Second to none!
    Manoni Productions

I do not favor re-sellers, mainly when it comes to electronics/electrical appliances. I will consider using it more on getting accessories, eg decent tripods, First, we cannot be sure of its usage before this (Remember, a cosmetically good looking camera is only an indication, but it does not necessarily equate to 'humane' or heavy usage). Secondly (more important), the sellers may not be totally honest about the history of the camera. These are, in no way, discrediting anyone intentionally unless they are dishonest when re-selling... reliability is the buzzword. In short, I'll pay for new gear. If not, I'll borrow/rent them. Eventhough I have not bought from B & H (As I do not stay in the States), I have been using them as reference for pricing in the last few years whenever I make purchases.

To add onto the DV & HDV difference, the quality of the picture is different. HDV is better of course. But in order for that to happen, your video camera, editing software, output software and lastly what you will view it on (as in the TV/monitor) matters. If budget is second and output is tops, you may want to consider this (eg you have to think of where your docs. are screened and what kind of output quality is needed).

Another point I'd like to make is usage. How heavy is your usage of this camera? And how much 'punishment' are you going to exert on them? FYI earlier I have purchased 2 consumer cameras and both died after less than a year of very heavy but careful usage. Repairing them was another bomb altogether... So do consider that if you have plans to shoot extensively. I think the other areas are well covered so, happy hunting and do post other findings/queries for the good people here...
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Choosing the Right Tripod!!!

Hey Guys!!! My next dilemma is how to choose the right tripod? Even though I have read explanation posted on this site but I still want to ask the crowd and see what you would suggest. Going back to the camera described above. JVC GY-HD100 this camera weights nearly 6.5 ilb. So it's not that heavy. So what would be your suggestion and what I should avoid by choosing the right model?

Quote: skrasnopolsky
    View Post
    Hey Guys!!! My next dilemma is how to choose the right tripod? Even though I have read explanation posted on this site but I still want to ask the crowd and see what you would suggest. Going back to the camera described above. JVC GY-HD100 this camera weights nearly 6.5 ilb. So it's not that heavy. So what would be your suggestion and what I should avoid by choosing the right model?
    Light, and Strong. actually, Strong over light!

I have a Bogen / Manfrotto Carbon Fiber one. Best investment i have ever made. also make sure that the head pans and tilts easily with a drag adjuster.

Do not skimp out and but one of those skinny plastic ones, they are not stable, and you will not like your shots.

*****Attention*****
    If you read nothing else, read this. Make sure that it has a bubble level for leveling your shots. I can not stress this enough, if your camera is not level, your shots will not be either. then it is hell trying to get them to look good
    Manoni Productions

Tripod

Do you think you can pass me a link to that model? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast