Video capture hardware

This is similar to other posts, but I'm just interested in hardware, I need to capture some video from BetaSP, S-VHS and VHS tapes to PC for editing with Avid. Can anyone reccomend a good quality, low cost(less than a mojo) video capture device for PC, must have composite and S-Video inputs and preferably component input too. Also do any have 4 channel audio capability ?

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Personally I'm a fan of using a cheap camcorder. I still have a Panasonic NVDS60 that stopped being able to record, but works perfectly well as a capture device. The image quality is indistinguishable from other sub-$US500 standalone products I've looked at.

Sorry, I don't know of any low-cost solutions that can accommodate component video or 4-channel audio.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I'm with Dave on this one.
    Use a cheap digital camcorder that supports "analog to digital pass through" features.

You could buy one of the very good Canopus products that do an amazing job capturing old footage with a great feature built in to support audio sink, but they are expensive and if you shop wisely you could get a cheap digital camcorder for the same price.
    As the old saying goes, you'll be killing two birds with the one stone if you got a digital camcorder

Then you will need a 2nd larger hard drive to hold all this newly captured footage, and a firewire port to use either product etc etc

Westie
    A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'

Hi, thanks for the info. I've just ordered a Canopus ADVC300, which seems to be suitable, it can't capture component analog, but I can live with that.

Blog Entries
    Good luck with the new toy - I'd love to hear how you find it.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I've just got my converter and so far results seem good I've captured some VHS and Betacam material into Avid and direct to Nero for burning to DVD. There is a timebase corrector which stabilizes the image and some software I haven't used yet for picture control. I think I'll knock up a little patch panel to save the connectors on the box itself and maybe find a circuit for a box to convert XLR balanced audio to RCA unbalanced.
    If you want one I would reccomend an ebay seller bell426 in the US, shiped here to the UK quickly and reasonable costs.

Thanks for the recommendations.

In my first 2 years in the team, I decided to learn some hands-on stuff just in case I have to do some repair work on wires/connectors. I made a little RCA patchbox using a Sony 890HMEX Hi8 tape box (easy to cut through for the wiring behind and durable at the same time) and a readymade 8-jack RCA panel. You might consider using the same ones for Betatapes, if not a hardy wood/plastic as backing.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore