Shocked by Speaker Cable

I'm fairly new at soundboard and video. Recently I unplugged a speaker from the mixer and received a significant shock. I'm sure this is not normal. Where should I look for the problem? In the speaker or the mixer?

I can not be for sure, but if the speaker is not plugged in (an amp) then it has to be a mixer problem. there should not be that much current running through speaker wire. As i said, i am not totally sure, there are some very smart (audio wise at least) people that i am sure will help you.
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

The speakers are powered and they were also on at the time.
    I muted everything on the board, pulled all the sliders down and then removed a cable and still felt a small tingle. It happens about the time the insert is coming out of the socket so I cant really tell if it's the board or speaker.
    Is there any way to put a voltmeter on the speaker cable and see if I have stray voltage coming to the mixer?

sektex, there is likely a cross in the cables (within the mixer). Eventhough your speakers are powered (if I don't get your system wrong), the XLR cables should not be transmitting power, whether or not the wires are crossed (at least I have not faced that on powered speakers).

I think a voltmeter is okie to test for crossed wiring if you know where to place the red & black ends. Only thing is it's easier to test the speaker connectors (just unscrew the XLR casing), but not the mixer. Not sure about test pens though. Of course, unless you want to use your fingers again... (kidding only!). Find someone who knows electrical circuits and stuff, it'll be more helpful than second guessing anytime.

My concern is if it's on the mixer/sound board... it's not a good problem...
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

ALWAYS!!!! turn off the power before connecting or disconnecting speakers!!!!!!. The shock is from the amplifiers, and it doesn't matter HOW they are connected, but not turning them off first is a sure-fire way of killing them.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'