Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ampflier Power

Without seeing a schematic, I would venture that the output transformer is shorted. That would accont for the hum. In turn, the power output transistors would short, causing the smoke. Probable cause for this is a voltage spike big enough to burn out something in the power supply. I think that amp has a standby switch on it somewhere. I would use it whenever you set your bass down for more than a minute. But you'll have to take it to a shop for repairs, upwards of $200.00. Also, get a surge protector.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Reply to Penniesfromheaven

Hello Penniesfromheaven,
    thank you for your reply to my post about my power/voltage dilemma which fried my Sunn 1200 s Bass Head and David Eden 4x10 Speaker Cabinet . I appreciate your help and will get it to a qualified shop ASAP. Too bad Sunn went out of business b/c this makes it a bit more difficult to find qualified Techs to fix my gear. Thanks again, best... Chris/NJ
    http://www.catsrevenge.com

You might try a HAM radio shop. They should be able to troubleshoot to a componant level. You can get the schematic to help them from www.sunnamps.com/manuals.html. The transformers are the only hard parts to get, really, since they were custom made for Sunn. There is a shop in Maryland, Chuck Levin's Music Center. They can probably locate them. Transistors and tubes and just about everything else in the 1200 is generic.

Good Luck
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12