Thread: 1/8" to XLR?

1/8" to XLR?

I'm trying to plug a mic with a stereo 1/8" plug into an XLR mic input. I can step up the 1/8" to 1/4" with an adapter. I tried a TRS to XLR adapter an get no sound. What am I doing wrong?

I am assuming that you have just used an adapter like this?

If so i would place my money on there being a wire problem in one of the connectors
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

XLR mic inputs are not stereo, but a balanced noise cancelatiion system that has nothing to do with stereo, so unless your 1/8 in. source is also balanced your sound is getting grounded out. If is a stereo source, like a portable CD player you need what kawsakimx6 pictured abouve.
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

that seems to be the solution, thanks. But I need the cable to be female 1/8" to male XLR. Seen anything like that around. I hate using too many genderchangers and adapters.

OK i just spent a half hour scouring the internet, because i thought that i had seen female 1/8 to Male XLR, however i could not find one at all. Maybe one of the other fine people on here know where you could find one. Or you could call B&H 800.606.6969 / 212.444.6615 and see what they can come up with.
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

You can wire it up yourself simply by doing the following:

Connect pins 1&3 on the xlr plugs to sleve, do this for both of the XLR plugs

Connect pin 2 on the left xlr to the tip

and connect pin 2 on the right xlr to the ring.

And there you have a 1/8" to XLR.

You wont recieve the best signal without using a DI, however it does work alright
    Let me know how you go
    Kyle

Can I rewire a TRS(female)-XLR(male) adapter to function as I need it too?
    I don't care if it ends up mono.

Yes. There is a picture of how on this site. I don't know how to put the link for it here (can someone help?), but click "Audio" above, then "Connections", then "XLR to Stereo Jack".
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'