Craig

XLR to 1/4 inch stereo

On your website, you connect pin 1 to jack sleeve, pin 2 to jack tip, and pin 3 to jack ring. Correct me if im wrong but, pin 3 in the balanced cable is simply the same a pin 2 but the signal is phase inverted at the source. So basically, according to your diagram, you will get a signal that is 180 degrees our of phase at the other end. This just seems odd to me unless of course you are using the 1/4 inch stereo jack to carry a mono balanced signal. Is it me or did you guys do it wrong?

Re: XLR to 1/4 inch stereo

Sorry Craig, I should have made it clear that this wiring is for a balanced mono cable.

Hi

Thanks for your hard work here. One tiny comment, on http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/co...ck-stereo.html the drawing shows the 'tip' solder lug of the 1/4" stereo jack as being the outside one - on all the jacks I have soldered up it has been the middle one as it is a post that physically runs all the way down the middle to the tip, if you see what I mean. Sometimes it is even the bolt that hold the whole thing together.

Martyn

Thanks for pointing that out. You're right of course. ops:
    Although it is embarassing to make mistakes like these, I do appreciate it when you point them out. At least I am aware of it and can rectify the mistake.
    Thanks again,
    Scratch.

dj gq

1/4 inch jack

i use the 1/4" with an adaptor. the sound quality is barley deminished. by the way scratch, here are some examples of my mixes using the setup i just described

www.soundclick.com/djgq :arrow:

I'll have a listen when I get home (work computer has no speakers).

nose

mr

Sorry this is quite some time after you guys last posted anything but...

i have been trying to perform the aforementioned connection - only im going from a 3.5mm (not a 6mm) connector to an XLR connector.

When i hooked it up as your site says - shield to 1, tip to 2, and ring to 3 - what i hear is the music with a VERY soft metallicy sounding voice - it almost sounds like a karaoke version of the song. now, when i hooked it up differently (shield to 1, ring to 2 and tip to 3) i got, what sounds like the right audio, but the entire audio was very very soft...

could you shed some light on what is going on?

First off, I'm wondering what you are plugging the adapter cable into? Are you coming out of a PC soundcard? And what are you plugging it into? I'm thinking maybe you are feeding a stereo signal into a balanced mono (or even unbalanced) input.
    If you could tell us what make/model equipment you are trying to connect we may be able to find out what is going on.