Questions about background materials

Hi.

I'm a total newbie at this but I have some questions about background material.

Basically, I'm shooting a typical interview setup with a completely black background. Does it really matter what material I use for the background?

Originally I was just going to buy some cheap cloth material at some fabric store but now I'm worried that it won't look good. For example, it could wrinkle easily, or not reflect light correctly.

I hear canvas or muslin is common. Is this used just for photography or for video also? And canvas/muslin will have to be painted black. Won't the paint crack or chip eventually?

I need something that looks good on dv (standard def), is easy to work with, and not to expensive.

Any advice?

Thanks!

if you are shooting for a black background, a piece of cloth would work fine, you could keep it taunt, so it looks smooth, or some people like the wrinkles in it. You could always go Green or blue or some colore that is NOT worn by your on camera "talent" and key it out and put ANYTHING you want behind it
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

We thought about a green screen, but it could cause problems for us later on. Like if we find out after filming that the screen wasn’t lit properly. That would be a disaster.

We were also thinking of keeping the background out of focus or completely dark. In that case I guess the background material would matter even less.

Thanks for the advice!