Instrument cables can be used for speaker cables?

Hi, all.
    I have some Monster Performer 500 Keyboard and Jazz cable with TRS connections. I wonder if I can use them for balanced speaker cables. I want to run them from the amp to the speakers (300W each). The speakers have balanced inputs.

Very bad if the instrument cable is shielded (most likly it is). Never run power through a shielded cable.

shielded is good?

thanks for the response.
    But from what I understand, and from the tutorials in this site:
    "There are two main types of audio cable we will look at: Single core / shielded (unbalanced) and One pair / shielded (balanced)."

The speakers has TRS inputs. Logically, we should be able to use shielded balanced audio cables. I know for sure that the Monster cables that I have are shielded and twisted.

Here are some features of these cables:

Dense copper braid for maximum protection from EMI.
    IsoTec® vibration isolation technology eliminates cable microphonics.
    Ergonomically contoured, heavy-duty body shell is easier to grab and offers hassle-free insertion and removal every time.
    24k hard gold contact 1/4” connectors increase conductivity and resist corrosion.
    Specially designed conductor layering in multiple helical bundles for improved high frequency signal alignment.
    Multiple gauge high and low frequency wire networks for accurate, natural sound reproduction.
    MicroFiber® dielectric core for accurate lows and extended frequency response.

So, why can't we use shielded cables?

Quote: rygelxvi
    View Post
    Very bad if the instrument cable is shielded (most likly it is). Never run power through a shielded cable.

Wait........what??????

this does not make sense at all.

Tuanha,

Although i do not know for 100% and was not going to reply to this thread because of my lack of instrument cables, unless there is a huge difference on the make up of the cables (the gauge and metal) then i do not see a problem at all. Give another day and one of the other people on here that know more about instruments will help you a bit further
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

What speakers are they? And what amp? I've never heard of balanced power outs on an amp. Are you sure the speakers aren't powered (have built in amps)? in which case it would make sense, but you can't use an separate amp if they are. You would feed these speakers from a mixer balanced out, or the balanced out of say keyboard.

In any case shielded cable can be used for power as long as the shield is tied to chassis ground at the amp, but left unconnected at the speaker. It will not add to sound quality, nor will it have any effect on EMI/RFI (electro-magnetic interference/radio frequency interference), which as what balanced systems are about. You would also have to have big enough wire guage to handle the power, 16 guage copper for a 300 watt amp.

But what would be the point? To just spend extra money?
    'I think my intimate relationship with electronics started as a child when I was playing with a screwdriver and a wall plug, Doc, and...'

Thanks for all the response

I think I should stick to using speaker cables and not instrument cables because the gauge is not big enough.
    Thanks.