I need help on choosing a film editing system.

I'm a non-linear film editing student. I'm planning to buy a system with a configuration that is suitable for film editing. Avid & Final Cut Pro are the softwares which i'm using right now. I'm confused that whether i should buy a PC or an i-mac. Can u send me the right configuration? I would also like to know if there are any authorized Apple showrooms in kerala.
    - If Apple i-mac is more preferable should i opt for an i-mac desktop or a macbook pro? I would also like to know how much these machines cost.
    - As a film editing student, will an Apple i-mac withstand the hardware technologies for the next 3 - 4 years?
    - Will a mac OS X boot on a PC?

Ok first off i would like to say that i am a mac user and favor Final Cut Pro (FCP)

now on to your questions.

- If Apple i-mac is more preferable should i opt for an i-mac desktop or a macbook pro? I would also like to know how much these machines cost.
    I would suggest the desktop if you are serious about doing this. the laptop can run FCP however it will be slower, and upgrading it is not as easy if you need to. How much they cost is DIRECTLY related to what you put in them. A good place to check is:
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...cts/AppleStore

I would suggest not getting a used computer for your editing system.

- As a film editing student, will an Apple i-mac withstand the hardware technologies for the next 3 - 4 years?
    Plain and simple....... YES

- Will a mac OS X boot on a PC?
    the simple answer is no. i have seen it done, but it is not an easy process and i am sure that by the time that you put that much time and money into a computer, you may as well buy a new one.

Can u send me the right configuration? I would also like to know if there are any authorized Apple showrooms in kerala.
    I am not sure what config you are looking for. also i am not sure where Kerala is located.

Hope this helps some
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

This sounds plain silly but pardon me as a foreigner asking: Does your school provide the machines for editing? I always find that more economical...

but of course if you have a couple of grands to spare... why not? PCs & Mac's fine for AVID/Premiere. But if you strictly stick to FCP or Shake for compositing later on, then the choice is clear.

As for whether a desktop or a laptop, it's a matter of how mobile you want to be. Having more power & flexibility for upgrades, but less mobility or otherwise? What say you?
    Last edited by nagar; 21st Mar 2007 at 16:56.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore