Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    Quote: skrasnopolsky
    I'm a very strong believer that it is all about skills rather equipment level.
    Well said.

My question how safe it is to buy a slightly used camera from a positive feedback member.
    It's a risk I might be willing to take in the right circumstances, but I'd really rather buy from an accredited supplier unless the price difference was significant.

Quote: kawsakimx6
    Mini DV and HDV are shot on the same tape.
    True but I'll make an observation. I started shooting HDV (on a Sony HVR-Z1P) using plain old MiniDV tapes. It went well at first but the tapes started showing dropout after about a dozen passes. With DV the dropout is a minor annoyance, but because HDV uses temporal compression, a single frame of dropout causes a very nasty loss lasting a full second or more.

I've since started using HDV tapes from Sony. It's essentially the same type of tape but I haven't had a single dropout yet.

My next dilemma is how to choose the right tripod
    Of course it needs to take the weight of the camera, but unless you have a very heavy camera it shouldn't be an issue. In fact these days I tend to think of my tripod as having to support the weight of the head more than the camera (my heads often weigh a fair bit more than the cameras they hold).

I love a nice, big chunky head with good controls and smooth, consistent movement.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Quote: Dave
    View Post
    True but I'll make an observation. I started shooting HDV (on a Sony HVR-Z1P) using plain old MiniDV tapes. It went well at first but the tapes started showing dropout after about a dozen passes. With DV the dropout is a minor annoyance, but because HDV uses temporal compression, a single frame of dropout causes a very nasty loss lasting a full second or more.
    \

OK wait........what the heck are you using a tape over and over for???? we all know to save all your footage! what if you need again? then it is gone!

Ok so you can buy a better tape too. i find that sony makes a great tape. i have been working with them for quite some time now.
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

View Post
    Do you think you can pass me a link to that model? Thanks!
    Here is the one that i use for my shoots......it is a bit on the pricey side depending on your budget, however if you look around on the site, they do make much cheaper ones, that are just as good quality.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
    Manoni Productions

Blog Entries
    Quote: kawsakimx6
    OK wait........what the heck are you using a tape over and over for???? we all know to save all your footage! what if you need again? then it is gone!
    I shoot a lot of stuff that I will definitely never need again. I also shoot a fair bit that I archive on hard drives so I don't bother keeping the tapes. I like to create a trimmed version of each editing project and save it along with any related unused material that I might need later. I find this is a great way to archive material that might need to be re-edited.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

That's something you do that I've always considered doing, but never getting down to doing it, Dave. One of my key considerations is the same as Kaw's, most of the time I'll have someone coming to me asking for some "prehistoric" footage... so I'm still keeping my tapes (and keeping an inventory on Excel. Cheap and good). The really short ones goes to the DVDs. Also recycling tapes is not exactly doing a kind deed to our cameras (the tape heads)... but that also goes along with the intensity of usage...

skrasnopolsky, I think the recommendations have been coming in so far, but we've still not heard what are the cameras you've shortlisted in order to make further informed recommendations. The tripod Kaw's recommended is a beauty, but if you're just getting a consumer DV cam, you'll likely be paying less for the camera than the tripod, and way overdoing it! One of the reasons for the price is also the weight the tripod can handle, and (yes I agree with Dave) the quality of the head of the tripod.

Do update the folks here. Looking forward to hearing from you!
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Quote: Dave
    View Post
    I shoot a lot of stuff that I will definitely never need again. I also shoot a fair bit that I archive on hard drives so I don't bother keeping the tapes. I like to create a trimmed version of each editing project and save it along with any related unused material that I might need later. I find this is a great way to archive material that might need to be re-edited.
    now that I have firestore drives, i do the same thing with archive footage, but that footage never touches a tape. I only use a tape when i am shooting something REAL important. then i duel record (tape and Firestore) and save the tapes
    Manoni Productions

And just a quick update (as I mentioned in an earlier post about my 'hunt' coming to a close), I've gotten hold of the Sony HVR-V1 yesterday. It's a pretty little camcorder. I had to settle it over above the JVC on the basis of handling and also cost. As of now, I'm the only male staff in my production team. This weighs less than half of the JVC. I still remember showing it to one of them yesterday and she was like "whoa it's so light and... so much like a [cheap] toy!" I was like thinking 'thanks a lot... so much for thinking for you' haha .

Well looking forward to your updates skrasnopolsky!
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Quote: nagar
    View Post
    And just a quick update (as I mentioned in an earlier post about my 'hunt' coming to a close), I've gotten hold of the Sony HVR-V1 yesterday. It's a pretty little camcorder. I had to settle it over above the JVC on the basis of handling and also cost. As of now, I'm the only male staff in my production team. This weighs less than half of the JVC. I still remember showing it to one of them yesterday and she was like "whoa it's so light and... so much like a [cheap] toy!" I was like thinking 'thanks a lot... so much for thinking for you' haha .

Well looking forward to your updates skrasnopolsky!

pics of the rest of the production team
    Manoni Productions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12