VT operator questions

what kind of VT Recorders does a VT operator need to know please?
    (what are some standard VTR names?)

What types of conversions does a VT operator need to know please?

What are some standard high definition video formats?

Blog Entries
    Quote: adamtape
    what kind of VT Recorders does a VT operator need to know please?
    Have a look at these models:
    http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...yCategory?p=16
    http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...st/index.shtml

I've found that once you get used to the general format of Sony machines, especially the way their menus are laid out, it's not too hard to learn new models. If you can become familiar with the Sony way of doing things, that's a good start because Sony is very popular in the industry (at least in my experience - could be different elsewhere).

If you're working in an older environment, you may need to know about BetaSP and others. A channel I work for still uses a lot of analog machines, even an MII

What types of conversions does a VT operator need to know please?
    To be honest most VT operators I know don't know much at all about conversions. Perhaps this is because they come from an analog age, perhaps it's because conversion isn't a big part of their jobs.

I'm not sure how to advise you on this one. I think that, rather than learning about conversions between specific formats, it might be an idea to learn about the formats themselves. For example, it pays to understand how MPEG works, the difference between intra-frame and inter-frame compression, etc. Understanding all these things helps to understand the issues faced when converting between them.

Also, make sure you have a handle on the MXF format.

What are some standard high definition video formats?
    I've only worked with HDV myself, because HD television has not yet taken off where I live. HDV is a sort of consumer-level version of HD.

Of course there's the Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD situation but I'm guessing that's not what you're asking.

Perhaps others with more relevant experience can comment on professional HD formats.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com