Blog Entries

Spam, Moderation, etc

First of all, thanks for letting me know about the spam problem in the last couple of days. It seems to come and go, usually I can respond fairly quickly, but sometimes it gets through.

Since I'm often tied up for days at a time now and can't check messages as often as I'd like, I've been wondering if I should invite a couple of regulars to be moderators. I've done this with other forums in the past and had "mixed success" with moderators, but it's worth considering.

For this forum I imagine that moderators would have the power to remove messages, move messages to different forums, etc. Possibly the power to ban users as well.

Anyone keen? I'm not making any promises or offers, I'd just like to know what you think.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Moderators are important to the infrastructure of a forum, in my dealings with web and in strategic website planning so far. The names of the team members (eg the thinktanks, the writers, programmers, moderators) are thought through and given the roles. They are esp. useful when a forum is expanding and going beyond the limitations of just one webmaster moderator, which to every content provider, is a VERY good problem! What's more, they allow the core team (incl the webmaster) to continue dreaming/cooking/innovating more ways to benefit the users and enrich the topics on the forum/site.

With that off my mind, I think it's best if you have people whom you have a fair bit of interaction with (either personally/on this forum) to consider. It is wise to have at least 2 moderators for each forum, (cover for each other as we all know, as media people, our projects are regular/ad hoc and stretches over days/wks/months!). As for holding the power to ban, I think you might want to leave that out for the moment, unless you are very sure of the people you are appointing.

Hmm... after reading what I've written, hey, I'm sure you know all those! Then again, since I'm done, might as well post it! Have fun deciding!
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Dave i really cant put it better then nager did, do i wont try.....i just wanted to ad, that i also feel that it is a great idea, and whom ever you may pick for this duty, make sure that he or she does not regularly post in threads just to hype there own product, because giving someone mod status, turns them into a massive power holder (for this forum).

have fun making the decision as to who will protect your forum

oh and i will do it for you!
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!

Well said nagar, your hired. Just joking

You do have a couple of good candidates there already Dave.

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't you want a moderator from both sides of the time zone?. You know, so while one is snoozing the other is cruising
    A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'

Blog Entries
    Thanks for your input guys. I think I will go ahead with this, I just need to set aside some time to sort out the moderator permissions etc. I'll get back to you.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Quote: westie
    View Post
    Well said nagar, your hired. Just joking

You do have a couple of good candidates there already Dave.

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't you want a moderator from both sides of the time zone?. You know, so while one is snoozing the other is cruising

I never thought of this.....this is a great idea. one from each side of the pond......Like a world wide tagteam
    Manoni Productions
    Pass me another beer...You are still ugly!